AC Pressure Relief Valve woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

heuster

Reaction score
Relief valve is saving your life, 390# high side is dangerous. When gauges are attached, is the high side gauge needle steady? Assuming we are talking about your '01, only expy with 62 oz. charge and 11 oz of pag. So you added 8 oz's to a system that only holds 11 oz and already had oil in it. Proper procedure would be to drain and measure the oil in the compressor before replacing. Most of the oil charge lays in the bottom of the condenser and the compressor, when the system is off. There is no doubt you have way to much refrigerant in system with those pressures, how are you weighing in the refrigerant? What did you use besides air to flush lines? Air will not remove all of the oil.
System was cleaned and 11oz of new oil was added - all previous oil was removed. Granted...the compressor was not drained. I don't really have to measure it...each refrigerant can is 12oz so I just ad 5 and test it (2 oz shy of 62) If it isn't blowing cold, I put the last can on the kitchen scale, zero it out and add 2 more oz of refrigerant. I used the AutoZone flush solution and some denatured alcohol. Yes, the high side is steady - both sides are very steady.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You really need a micron gauge to pull a vacuum on an AC system. Past zero doesn't really tell me anything, when we recover refrigerant we pull it to -10 inches of Mercury. The vacuum after purging is over -29 inches. You should be using dry nitrogen to purge the system to help remove the moisture from the system.

OP
OP
H

heuster

Reaction score
You really need a micron gauge to pull a vacuum on an AC system. Past zero doesn't really tell me anything, when we recover refrigerant we pull it to -10 inches of Mercury. The vacuum after purging is over -29 inches. You should be using dry nitrogen to purge the system to help remove the moisture from the system.
I really get what your saying, but am I out of line saying that most weekend warriors/garage monkeys on this forum don't have those things? I mean, he might be doing it "wrong" but I pulled in a shop a couple years ago to a guy that had been working on AC for 30 years and he pulled a vacuum with his 25 year old unit and then let it sit. I don't have all the bells and whistles, sorry brother. I was hoping to get some help from some people who might have some practical ideas on what's wrong. I can't measure microns and I don't have a nitrogen pump. If I can't get any help on this without having those things, I'm afraid I'm in the wrong forum.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really get what your saying, but am I out of line saying that most weekend warriors/garage monkeys on this forum don't have those things? I mean, he might be doing it "wrong" but I pulled in a shop a couple years ago to a guy that had been working on AC for 30 years and he pulled a vacuum with his 25 year old unit and then let it sit. I don't have all the bells and whistles, sorry brother. I was hoping to get some help from some people who might have some practical ideas on what's wrong. I can't measure microns and I don't have a nitrogen pump. If I can't get any help on this without having those things, I'm afraid I'm in the wrong forum.

You cannot have any air or non condensables in the refrigeration system, without the proper tools and knowledge it will not work as designed. Several people are trying to help but you're looking for the easy way out.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some things it's better to take to a professional and get it done right. I've seen several threads that people are throwing parts at their AC systems, or taking them to a "guy" they know and complaining the repair didn't last. I work on commercial AC for a living and noncondensables are a major problem, I've had to purge 3 units in the last 2 weeks because the customer hired a cheap guy to fix their equipment. Then they paid me to fix it again...

OP
OP
H

heuster

Reaction score
I beg your pardon - I'm not looking for an easy way out, just a guy without all the tools trying to fix his AC.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I beg your pardon - I'm not looking for an easy way out, just a guy without all the tools trying to fix his AC.
You can get a manifold guage from Autozone on loan. (you pay for the tool and you get ALL your money back when you return the tool)
You need to test the pressures on the high side and low side before moving and further. Without those numbers no one can fix.
Once you get your numbers you can adjust untill they are correct. If still not running properly you will have to pull a vacuum on the system. (no nitrogen needed) once you have a vacuum cut off the pump and let it sit 15 min/30min and it should stay where it was when you cut it off. If it did not stay you have a leak and that needs to be addressed first.
If no leak and the vacuum stayed, move forward with filling refrigerant while manifold gauges are connected so you can fill to the correct pressures.

Try the manifold gauges first to see where your pressures high/low are at. post back here what your pressures are.
Nobody can fix without the manifold gauges.

OP
OP
H

heuster

Reaction score
You can get a manifold guage from Autozone on loan. (you pay for the tool and you get ALL your money back when you return the tool)
You need to test the pressures on the high side and low side before moving and further. Without those numbers no one can fix.
Once you get your numbers you can adjust untill they are correct. If still not running properly you will have to pull a vacuum on the system. (no nitrogen needed) once you have a vacuum cut off the pump and let it sit 15 min/30min and it should stay where it was when you cut it off. If it did not stay you have a leak and that needs to be addressed first.
If no leak and the vacuum stayed, move forward with filling refrigerant while manifold gauges are connected so you can fill to the correct pressures.

Try the manifold gauges first to see where your pressures high/low are at. post back here what your pressures are.
Nobody can fix without the manifold gauges.
Man, this is what I don't understand with these guys comments. I posted pictures of the gauges that I'm using and described in detail everything that I've done so far, yet they come at me like I need to be some ASE certified tech with Snapon tools on my belt. I pulled a vacuum with a 4.5cfm pump for around an hour /45min and then let it sit all night long. Gauges didn't move all night so I filled it. The pictures I posted are after putting 62oz of refrigerant - pretty high. I did this in my garage, out of the sun. all doors open and max AC settings. Brand new exp valve in the rear, brand new condenser, brand new orifice tube, brand new dryer. Compressor is a Denso with 1-2 thousand miles or so on it - hasn't been used much. I just need to get this running and I'm not trying to take any shortcuts.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I posted pictures of the gauges that I'm using and described in detail everything that I've done so far
Just would like to say i know you are frustrated but you have to see our point of view. The only thing we have to go on is you. I just went thru the whole thread again and caught a couple things i missed. (maybe you should do the same) and you had not done everything when you posted the last gauge readings, you just said you filled 62 oz and the oil.
So lets start fresh,
What readings High side/low side are you getting now? what is the outside air temp when you take the readings? What temp is the air coming out the vent?

OP
OP
H

heuster

Reaction score
Just would like to say i know you are frustrated but you have to see our point of view. The only thing we have to go on is you. I just went thru the whole thread again and caught a couple things i missed. (maybe you should do the same) and you had not done everything when you posted the last gauge readings, you just said you filled 62 oz and the oil.
So lets start fresh,
What readings High side/low side are you getting now? what is the outside air temp when you take the readings? What temp is the air coming out the vent?
With 110 degrees outside it is 70/390 stable blowing out the vents at about 70 degrees. If I increase engine RPM, it cools down to around 65ish
Turn it off and it evens out at 150

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani