Add Carplay/Android Auto and retain steering wheel controls and backup camera?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarkShadow04

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. My wife's birthday is coming up and I would like to replace the factory head unit with a newer one with Carplay.

She has a 2012 Expedition Limited with factory Navigation. I am looking at one of the Kenwood Excelon units, but the Crutchfield install accessories say they will keep the steering wheel controls but loose the backup camera. Which I think is almost more important in a vehicle this size.

Is there a different brand of headunit to look at, or a different install kit I should look at in order to keep these functions? The last car I put a system in was my 1999 Mustang, and that was over 10 years ago, but it was a much simpler install.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The backup camera should be able to be retained. Perhaps not with their choice of harness but there is likely an option. Look at the iDatalink Maestro RR (MRR) if you're looking for close to a plug n play install. It's a bit pricey as far as harnesses/interface go but it includes quite a few nifty features if the unit you're looking at is Maestro compatible.

If you're remotely handy electrically speaking you should be able to splice into the video feed from the camera and install and RCA connector to hook to the Kenwood.

Does your truck have the camera video feed in the mirror or was it in dash?

OP
OP
D

DarkShadow04

Reaction score
The backup camera should be able to be retained. Perhaps not with their choice of harness but there is likely an option. Look at the iDatalink Maestro RR (MRR) if you're looking for close to a plug n play install. It's a bit pricey as far as harnesses/interface go but it includes quite a few nifty features if the unit you're looking at is Maestro compatible.

If you're remotely handy electrically speaking you should be able to splice into the video feed from the camera and install and RCA connector to hook to the Kenwood.

Does your truck have the camera video feed in the mirror or was it in dash?

I am remotely handy for sure. I haven't ordered anything yet, but the Maestro RR with the FO1 harness is what was recommended by Crutchfield.

The video for the backup camera is part of the Ford navigation head unit.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had my '11 Expedition's NAV unit replace with a JVC KW-V960BW (JVC and Kenwood are one). I have the Maestro RR installed to keep system integration. Plus - ODB II connectivity to get vehicle data like, tire pressure per tire (nice to have, yes?!?!). Highly recommend a head unit with Maestro. Bonus, you can program the steering wheel controls with two functions - short press / long press. Reason I went with the 960 over the 950 was wanted wireless CarPlay.

Oh - almost forgot - the factory rear camera works with the system flawlessly.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dual functions on the steering wheel are a must for older expeditions if you want a decent experience. Its still a great feature even on the newer models with better steering wheel control options. Really opens up what you can do.

The KWV950 has wireless carplay. I was going to purchase it rather than my pioneer 4500nex but it was unavailable at that moment for our purchase program. I was impatient though.. I had also wanted the 3 camera inputs of the 950. The 960 has 4, both are great units loaded with features. Originally planned for my wife to have the expy and I was going to put side view cameras in the mirror housings for lane changes.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well......now I'm not 100% sure what I was looking at then. I thought it was the 950 but the JVC site says it does do wireless car play. Wonder if the other unit was V85BT? I'll check when I go back.

OP
OP
D

DarkShadow04

Reaction score
I ended up purchasing the Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX with the Maestro RR and the F01 kit. I received it a couple days ago, so this weekend I will be figuring out how to hook it all up.

I went with the Pioneer over the Kenwood because I was reading that despite the higher resolution screen, the UI on the Kenwood felt a little out-of-date, and the interface was a bit slower. I also don't think the manufacturers of these units have very high incentive to update the firmware more than maybe once, so the hope of possibly getting an update to fix things or add features in the future is pretty low. So I went with the one that seemed better out of the box.

Oh - almost forgot - the factory rear camera works with the system flawlessly.

This makes me hopeful that I won't need to splice into the trucks wiring to grab that video feed!!

I'll post an update in here after it's installed.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll be very happy with the 4660, that was a contender for the navigator before I went nuts and we threw the 7600 in there. I felt bad for stealing her truck originally so she got the big screen to help heal the wound. Lol. It ended up looking even better than expected so I'm happy we went that route.

The 4660 is essentially what I have in the expy but w a capacitive screen and digital media only, the shallow depth will give you so much room in the dash you could could put a raspberry pi or any of the mini legacy gaming systems back there and hook up to the hdmi on the radio for some fun when you're stuck somewhere.

You nailed Kenwood on the head, I'm a Pioneer buyer due to the UI being much better. Pioneer probably already has a firmware update for the 4660, I think most of the new ones got some sort of patch very early on. Our 7600 had one needed out of the box. That being said my 4500NEX is on the original firmware and runs great, nothing to change imo unless it was just going to be the updated interface our larger model has though not sure it would scale as well on a 7" display.

If you have it in the budget at some point look into a small 4ch amp like the alpine KTP-445U or the Kicker Key 200.4 and some new door speakers. Don't have to go too crazy on the speaker choice but it makes a world of difference.

OP
OP
D

DarkShadow04

Reaction score
Got the head unit installed today. Looks great!!! I didn't realize that the Maestro RR wouldn't integrate the factory bluetooth mic though, so I need to pull it out of the dash again. The sound quality of the factory speakers has been greatly improved!

I ordered a usb adapter to replace the 12v cigarette lighter below the radio. I will post pics of the finished product after I run the Mic and install the usb connector

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No pics? Show ur work off

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk