Added USB-C Charger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got this done 2 weeks ago.

Bought the 12V powerpoint bezel without the cap, The USB-C charger is also an OEM Ford part I bought on eBay.

Required a little bit of ingenuity and jerry-rigging to mount it in place of the coin holder but it didn’t turn out half bad.

Wired it to turn on/off with ignition and backlighting is wired to the instrument panel backlighting circuit ( it dims up and down with the rest etc...)

b2016809e5af8e062b14925fb903d3a8.jpg
d64fdc31bfdcdcd227cb15973efec7a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks good, does it offer fast charge on the type C?

I haven’t measured the amp output but it seems to be faster than the regular USB-A

Update:
USB-C @ 13.6v - 1.48a to 1.56a output
USB-A @ 13.6v - 0.88a to 0.93a output

Last edited:

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks nice. You can tell if it is a fast charger by plugging in an Android phone or tablet. It should tell you that it is fast charging or not.

OP
OP
T

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks nice. You can tell if it is a fast charger by plugging in an Android phone or tablet. It should tell you that it is fast charging or not.

Thx, I got an Apple [emoji519]

Last edited:

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got this done 2 weeks ago.

Bought the 12V powerpoint bezel without the cap, The USB-C charger is also an OEM Ford part I bought on eBay.

Required a little bit of ingenuity and jerry-rigging to mount it in place of the coin holder but it didn’t turn out half bad.

Wired it to turn on/off with ignition and backlighting is wired to the instrument panel backlighting circuit ( it dims up and down with the rest etc...)

b2016809e5af8e062b14925fb903d3a8.jpg
d64fdc31bfdcdcd227cb15973efec7a5.jpg

That's a nice mod @TXFRDOwner. Did you put this in place of the factory 12V outlet, or the other location where the weird coin tray goes? On my '15 the factory 12V is on the opposite side of the console.
I'd love to see the parts list if you can throw it up here. Did you have to add an additional fuse for the USB-C power or is that internal to the part itself? Will the LED color change with the other cabin lights for those of us that have that option?

Great use of space and much cleaner than the 12V adapter I have to use in mine.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a nice mod @TXFRDOwner. Did you put this in place of the factory 12V outlet, or the other location where the weird coin tray goes? On my '15 the factory 12V is on the opposite side of the console.

I replaced the coin holder on the side of the radio closer to the driver.

I'd love to see the parts list if you can throw it up here.

Not sure it's a mod for everyone because it took a lot of tedious fab work to get the USB charger to fit in the 12V bezel. Then to get the 12v bezel mounted in that hole. The backlighting is actually white so I used an aqua marker to color over the LED reflector to match the OEM dash backlighting.

Here are the parts I used:
- USB Charger eBay link
- Power Outlet Bezel P/N 9L3Z-15K040-AA
- Motorcraft WPT-1130 (mating connector to the 4x4 switch connector)
- Molex Parts for the USB Charger: Connector 34791-0040 + Terminals 56002-30448 (Requires terminal crimping)
- DU2Z-14474-BA (add terminal in C284 slot 5 for power source)
- DU2Z-14474-AA (add terminal in C2280B slot 5 for power source)
- Tesa "cloth" tape (make it purtty)

Sharpie USB Reflector.png

Did you have to add an additional fuse for the USB-C power or is that internal to the part itself?

As I mentioned above, I'm not sure this mod is for everyone; there are a lot of tedious steps not only to make it fit snug in there but also for the wiring. I'm sure there are simpler ways of doing this but this is route I went.

Wiring:
The coin holder has a connector behind it for the 4x4 switch even for the Expys that didn't come with that option. It's an 8-pin connector but only has 4 wires, the other 4 slots are empty. I ran a wire from one of the BCM unused power sources at C2280B pin 5; it already has a pre-existing 5A fuse @ Fuse# 42. Ran that wire to one of the 4 empty slots of the 8-pin connector.

I made my own harness adapter to connect the USB charger to the 4x4 switch connector; so as far as wiring goes, it's a clean plug-n-play install with no splices.

4x4 switch Pinout: (See Thumbnail pics below)
Pin1 - Ground
Pin4 - Inst. Panel backlighting with dim up/dn
Pin5 - (originally empty) Power - from C2280B pin 5

Will the LED color change with the other cabin lights for those of us that have that option?

No it doesn't change colors, it stays the same aqua blue color like the rest of the Radio/HVAC panel, the switches throughout the vehicle, shifter letters, etc ... but it dims with the rest of the dash panel the way I have it wired.

Great use of space and much cleaner than the 12V adapter I have to use in mine.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

228517189.jpg IMG_4733.JPG C284.jpg C2280B.jpg

Last edited: