Added USB-C Charger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced the coin holder on the side of the radio closer to the driver.

Not sure it's a mod for everyone because it took a lot of tedious fab work to get the USB charger to fit in the 12V bezel. Then to get the 12v bezel mounted in that hole. The backlighting is actually white so I used an aqua marker to color over the LED reflector to match the OEM dash backlighting.

Here are the parts I used:
- USB Charger eBay link
- Power Outlet Bezel P/N 9L3Z-15K040-AA

View attachment 39675

As I mentioned above, I'm not sure this mod is for everyone; there are a lot of tedious steps not only to make it fit snug in there but also for the wiring. I'm sure there are simpler ways of doing this but this is route I went.

Wiring:
The coin holder has a connector behind it for the 4x4 switch even for the Expys that didn't come with that option. It's an 8-pin connector but only has 4 wires, the other 4 slots are empty. I ran a wire from one of the BCM unused power sources at C2280B pin 5; it already has a pre-existing 5A fuse @ Fuse# 42. Ran that wire to one of the 4 empty slots of the 8-pin connector.

I made my own harness adapter to connect the USB charger to the 4x4 switch connector; so as far as wiring goes, it's a clean plug-n-play install with no splices.

4x4 switch Pinout: (See Thumbnail pics below)
Pin1 - Ground
Pin4 - Inst. Panel backlighting with dim up/dn
Pin5 - (originally empty) Power - from C2280B pin 5

No it doesn't change colors, it stays the same aqua blue color like the rest of the Radio/HVAC panel, the switches throughout the vehicle, shifter letters, etc ... but it dims with the rest of the dash panel the way I have it wired.

View attachment 39676 View attachment 39677 View attachment 39678
Thanks for the response and for taking time to make this detailed write up!
I'm sure there are more than a few of us here who will want to take this on over a weekend. I'll stock up on some Ranch Water and see if I can't make my install as clean as yours [emoji16]

I honestly hate that little coin train so much. It's pretty useless in my book, and with all the alternatives that Ford could have put in there it's hilarious that they chose a little shelf for what, 5 coins?

This is going on my to do list!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the 12v connector on the passenger side close to or the same as the 4x4 switch? I’m thinking about doing this to my 12v outlet instead since I have factory 4x4. Or do you know the connector for the 12v plug/socket? And how do I remove the panel the 12v socket is on because i want to add a switch bank where the open cubby is on the passenger side - opposite of the trailer brake controller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's mine. 12V is opposite the coin tray/4WD selector. The 4-pin connector only exists behind the coin tray. The one on the right has the 12V power wires where the outlet exists or not.
If you don't have the trailer brake control installed already, the wiring is still back there behind the cubby on the Left.eec3caf899780ce28c0a3de287f7129a.jpg

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's mine. 12V is opposite the coin tray/4WD selector. The 4-pin connector only exists behind the coin tray. The one on the right has the 12V power wires whether the outlet exists or not.
If you don't have the trailer brake control installed already, the wiring is still back there behind the cubby on the Left.eec3caf899780ce28c0a3de287f7129a.jpg

OP
OP
T

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the 12v connector on the passenger side close to or the same as the 4x4 switch? I’m thinking about doing this to my 12v outlet instead since I have factory 4x4. Or do you know the connector for the 12v plug/socket? And how do I remove the panel the 12v socket is on because i want to add a switch bank where the open cubby is on the passenger side - opposite of the trailer brake controller

That's just a power and ground there. 3-pin connector ... only 2 wires (power & ground) usually a heavier gauge than normal circuits. might be between 12 to 16 awg

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's mine. 12V is opposite the coin tray/4WD selector. The 4-pin connector only exists behind the coin tray. The one on the right has the 12V power wires where the outlet exists or not.

So mine is that exact dash except I have sync3 - but i have 4x4 switch (no ELOCKER). Does the 12v socket have a light behind “12v”? I never noticed - if not then i might not do the usb conversion. I never use the 12v socket and would rather have usb ports. And what would have been in the cubby above the 12v outlet - A 110v outlet or what?

OP
OP
T

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So mine is that exact dash except I have sync3 - but i have 4x4 switch (no ELOCKER). Does the 12v socket have a light behind “12v”? I never noticed - if not then i might not do the usb conversion. I never use the 12v socket and would rather have usb ports. And what would have been in the cubby above the 12v outlet - A 110v outlet or what?

I think so @ above the 12V plug. My F150s has the combined 12V + 110v there

No backlighting on the 12V connector tho

Psychobot90

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I beleive the 12V label is illuminated. Hard to tell during the daylight right now though.
Yes, the RH cubby is reserved for the 110 outlet - I can't remember which trim level that's standard on, but the wiring would likely be back there if you already have the inverter. You know you have the inverter if you have a 110 outlet at the back of the center console.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know the part number for the front 110v outlet? I have an inverter and would like to add the front outlet

OP
OP
T

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know the part number for the front 110v outlet? I have an inverter and would like to add the front outlet

This is from the F150, dunno for sure if it fits

FL3Z-19A487-B Or FL3T-19G310-BC

EBAY LINK

Last edited: