1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Ford trailer brake controller

Discussion in '4th Gen - 2018 - present' started by Tmg115, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Tony Gliszczynski

Tony Gliszczynski New Member

I put a factory brake controller in my 19 Expedition! Bought from Tasca Ford on line and put it in myself and had my dealer add it in the computer! Works great!

2. Wally Rayban

Wally Rayban Member

I just went to the Ford dealer today to have it programmed (I believe the service advisor said "BCM module" so not sure if Forscan will work for 2018+ models). Tested it out and it works great! I did the install myself too, easy peasy.

Trailer Brake Controller Programming and 5-digit keypad pin retrieval (because I lost the code) for $195+tax.

3. hughes022

hughes022 New Member

Just installed my TBC this morning. When I activated it with forscan, it worked correctly with the gain (the down button is finicky, but workable) but it took away the different driving modes for some reason. I checked the IPC stuff and it did not disable to drive mode selector. Disabled the TBC, then got the drive modes back. Re-enabled the TBC, and then got the module error code, and no drive mode. Unhooked it by unplugging, letting it set, cycled the ignition, then plugged back in, re-enabled (3rd time), and got the error. cycled the ignition, unplugged while in acc mode, then plugged back in. cycled ignition, no error, and have the drive modes again. Has anyone else had any issues like this?

4. JS2295

JS2295 Member

5. JS2295

JS2295 Member

Hey Tony Gliszczynski check out Delacy Ford.

If I remember right they quoted me $120 or $140 to program the TBC if I install the controller myself.

Delacy also said they will install the TBC for $390, including the cost of the part.

6. JS2295

JS2295 Member

Is it possible that the controllers are in short supply because resources are being allocated towards the 2021 F150?

7. Tmg115

Tmg115 Member

They are like 80 bucks on amazon

8. JS2295

JS2295 Member

Yeah but I don't think the ones on Amazon are a Genuine Ford Part.

9. Tmg115

Tmg115 Member

What's wrong with aftermarket?

10. Uturn

Uturn Full Access Members

Who do you think makes the Ford OEM switch. The under dash module is the controller, The switch is just a couple of momentary push buttons and a sliding potentiometer. They are even cheaper on Amazon now, $42 with a 5% off coupon and free shipping.

Tmg115 likes this.