Adding Ford trailer brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JS2295

Reaction score
Who do you think makes the Ford OEM switch. The under dash module is the controller, The switch is just a couple of momentary push buttons and a sliding potentiometer. They are even cheaper on Amazon now, $42 with a 5% off coupon and free shipping.

I guess when you put it that way it should be alright. I kind of thought it was just a switch because the BCM is already mounted near the pedals. It just surprised me to see the OEM part's price more than triple in just a few weeks.

I'm probably preaching to the choir when I say Ford should make the brake controller standard, especially when MSRPs are topping $70k. It's the little things that add to customer satisfaction. Plus a good number of states require the use of a brake controller when a trailer weighs over 3500#.

Another thing is why do I get the sense that Ford is nerfing the GVWR at 7600# with payload at 1639#. My old 2007 Expy EL had a GVWR of 7900#(1704# payload) with similar axle ratings and without the Heavy Duty tow package. That was 13 years ago so I'm sure driveline/part durability has improved if not stayed the same. 4th gen Max Limited trims should have payload ratings of 1850# or better if axles and drivelines are similar.

Last edited:

hughes022

Reaction score
Those of you who have done the controller at home with Forscan, how many lines did you have to change? I believe I saw somewhere there were two spots, but on our 2019, I just have one line which is literally "activate" or "deactivate". Am I missing anything? The one I bought and installed keeps giving me the "trailer brake module fault" message every time we start the car, and does not function when a trailer is plugged in.

OP
OP
Tmg115

Tmg115

Reaction score
Who do you think makes the Ford OEM switch. The under dash module is the controller, The switch is just a couple of momentary push buttons and a sliding potentiometer. They are even cheaper on Amazon now, $42 with a 5% off coupon and free shipping.

Do you have a link to that one?

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are two lines to activate.

Trailer Brake Controller - Activate (if installing a factory brake controller) IPC 720-07-01 xxxx x8xx xxxx Change to 8 to Activate factory brake controller
Trailer Brake Controller - Gain Activate (if installing a factory brake controller) IPC 720-04-01 xx4x xxxx xxxx Change to 4 to Activate Gain display in IPC

Plus if you have modified the cluster to display trans and engine temps above the gauges you will need to amend that setting also.

Engine temp & Transmission temp shows above gauges (8" Clusters only)

IPC 720-07-01 xxxx xE5x xxxx ** use this if you have trailer brake controller and turbos **
IPC 720-07-01 xxxx x65x xxxx ** use this if you don't have trailer brake controller but have turbos **

hughes022

Reaction score

Trailer Brake Controller - Activate (if installing a factory brake controller) IPC 720-07-01 xxxx x8xx xxxx Change to 8 to Activate factory brake controller
Trailer Brake Controller - Gain Activate (if installing a factory brake controller) IPC 720-04-01 xx4x xxxx xxxx Change to 4 to Activate Gain display in IPC

Plus if you have modified the cluster to display trans and engine temps above the gauges you will need to amend that setting also.

IPC 720-07-01 xxxx xE5x xxxx ** use this if you have trailer brake controller and turbos **
IPC 720-07-01 xxxx x65x xxxx ** use this if you don't have trailer brake controller but have turbos **

Thanks for that. I have been using the "simple" edits on forscan vs the coding way lately, so maybe that was my issue? on the simple way, I could only find the one line, TBC - Activate. I have a new one coming tomorrow hopefully, so I'll go change the actual line codes this time and hopefully that will work better. also didn't know I had to re-edit the temp lines again, so thanks for that added bit!

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Trailer Brake Controller - Activate (if installing a factory brake controller) IPC 720-07-01 xxxx x6xx xxxx
if your as-built is 0, use 8. if your as-built is 6, use E

So I finally installed my $36 dollar switch this morning and every thing works fine including drive modes. I need to modify a line in my previous post since part of the directions were missing.
I believe all the 2018+ Expeditions use a 6 that needs to be changed to E.

Last edited:

Jaime M

Reaction score
I just bought one and installed it myself on my 2018. Haven't had it programmed yet. The interesting thing is I was presented with two options at the dealer.

1) the brake controller (JL3Z*2C006*AA) $94
2) the brake controller kit (JL3Z*19H332*AA) $134

When I opened the box for the kit, I noticed it was the brake controller and a 30amp fuse. The non-kit didn't come with a fuse. I found it really odd that the kit was almost $40 more and the fuse was the only difference. Do I need to install a fuse? I noticed none of you mentioned anything about a fuse. Just plug controller in and program.....is that all? Thanks

The dealer told me I needed that kit too since the car didn’t come with brake controller stock. It was same $40 more. I looked and have all fuses installed except no.69 Trailer tow park lamp which is only a 25 amp. But the kit comes with a 40 amp fuse so I don’t think it’s the one I am missing. It also doesn’t say where it goes. So confused.

Do I need fuse no. 69 installed?