Adding remote start to XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it is anything like the '16, all that is needed is for the dealer to order the remote key fobs with the start button, then program the ECM. Very easy and nothing beats OEM.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Someone told me that you can buy the Ford Pass Smartlink that plugs into the obd port and that will let you remote start with the cell phone app. Anyone know for certain if that is correct?

I know that my Dad's new Ford Ranger does not have buttons on the remote and he has to do remote start and all that from the phone app. His has the Fordpass stuff built in and not the obd port plug in thing.

OP
OP
stricnine

stricnine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an appointment on Tuesday to have perimeter plus installed which will give me remote start using the OEM remote. I’ll follow up once installed.

OP
OP
stricnine

stricnine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: Had Perimeter Plus with remote start installed this morning.

Part #KN1Z-19A361-A

Works perfect! Lock, unlock, lock on the standard key fob allows remote start. Adjustable shock sensor for security. Hard to beat at $250 installed.

AF05E07E-D79D-43CA-A5E6-60AFC45DF8BF.jpeg

leadfarmer

Reaction score
I’m not sure why or how, but my expedition is a 200a package with no additional options at all except for 4x4. It's the lowest package you can get. If I push lock unlock lock on my fob it will remote start. I do not have a remote start button on my fob and it is not supposed to have it according to the build sheet, but it does work. I don’t know if that works on others as well or if mine is a fluke.

OP
OP
stricnine

stricnine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have perimeter plus? You can look under your dash to locate the module. Mine would not remote start without it, I tried. Hahahaha

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2016 XLT with the base package. All I had to do was buy a new set of keys and the dealer programmed the PCM.

16 key.JPG

KenK

Reaction score
Are you sure you don't have remote start already?
My 2018 Expy XLT 4x4 Max is a lowly 200a and it does remote start even though the dealer said it did not. I have the large fob but not the intelligent access key which I think means no remote start button, no power tailgate, and I have to actually press the unlock button to open the doors.
There is no start button on the fob, press lock button, then unlock, then lock button again and vavoom.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360