Adding underbody protection/skid plates - easy? Just bolt on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steveg_nh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2014 Limited Expy doesn't have underbody protection, I don't think. I ran the VIN and it showed the line with "Less" in front of it. I need to look to be sure, but if it doesn't, is it easy to add the skid plates? Should the holes already be there? Just bolt right on?

Thanks.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are OE skid plates available. They are bolt in or you can build your own. The OE are not bad for the majority of users here.

jimp

Reaction score
Easy

They are easy to put on, added mine in about one hour after getting up on the lift. Be warned, if you are expecting heavy duty, they are not.

Added skids to my 2003, the 2014 front is lighter materal and has a lot of service holes. Will be making my own eventually.

The transfer case skid will keep you from hitting the case with a projectile but will not support any weight. Likely build this one also.

Finally, the gas tank Skid is ABS plastic (I think it's ABS not sure, but it is plastic). Again you will not be draging it much. Don't know what to do to cover that anchor.

I guess the Expeditions not my Wrangler, a lot more comfortable and better gas mileage.

jimp

Reaction score
I got mine from the dealer, cost $560 for everything. I have seen it cheaper on line but shipping?