Aftermarket Remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chapdaddy

Reaction score
I have a 2008 expedition and I am installing the Avital 41003 remote start kit. As of right now, I have everything hooked up, however, I believe that I am having issues with the satellite harness. The lock/unlock on the key fob from the kit works fine as long as the satellite harness is not plugged in. Once it is plugged in the car beeps 5 times and seems to turn on like it is in accessory mode and when I press lock on the fob the doors lock for a moment and then unlock. In addition, with the satellite harness plugged in, the engine will not turn over and the dash says "check braking system". I currently only have the starter and ignition wires from the satellite harness hooked up and they are connected to the starter and primary ignition wires from the ignition harness. Could my issues be related to not having the status output connected? please help I have been working on this for days

Underdog66

Reaction score
I have an Avital remote start which I purchased several years ago for an Expedition I no longer have. I recently purchased another Expedition and plan on installing the remote starter. It kind of bugs me that there really isn't any SPECIFIC instructions and/or step by step direction with it. If I had know that it would involve a significant amount of detective work to hook it up, I wouldn't have purchased it. I'm going to attempt to install it between the holiday this week. I found a 'generic' install video ( ironically it appears to be an Explorer or Expedition) which I am going to use as a reference guide.

How to Install a Remote Car Starter Yourself

Bergie

Reaction score
I respectfully agree with the previous post - get with the manufacturer's help desk. Better still, identify a factory authorized installer and give them a call. You are not the first and certainly won't be the last to experience difficulty. The good installers are happy to help and can make sure that no permanent damage occurs to your electrical system(s), all while costing just a few hundred bucks. Sometimes it's worth getting the pros involved. Best of luck to you. Let us know how it turns out.