Aftermarket stereo question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clayc84

Reaction score
Hey guys. Thinking of putting in my flipout touchscreen in my Expy. I currently have the Mach sound system which sounds great with the exception of the stock woofer starting to go. If I hook up my aftermarket stereo how will it sound if I don't use the device to use the factory amp? Will I still get decent sound? Anyone done it this way and just said forget about using the factory amp?? Thanks

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I agree. It's best to start from scratch when you replace the stereo. Most new head units have plenty of power to run the main speakers. Since your sub is going, it's a great opportunity to pick up either a powered sub or a separate amp and sub box.

If you really want to go all out, then pick up some new door speaker and get a multi channel amp to run them. Then get that sub and amp.

Reaction score
youll need to bypass the mach amp which is located below the hvac controls. at the bottom of the dash. you can see the heat fins of the amp if you look directly down the radio opening when you remove it...but the plug that feeds the speakers is at the bottom of the amp, facing the floor.

ive always used the factory wiring since its good quality compared to a lot of the crappy speaker wire available at walmart or wherever. besides, you really dont see a benefit unless youre running tons of wattage and some 12 awg wire.

like tonydiv mentioned, id also recommend changing everything out..radio, speakers, sub. i installed a pioneer radio, alpine coax speakers and a kicker 8 in sub/ rockford amp in the stock location. (i had all this left over from several years ago).

you can use Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers for wiring information. but be advised, ford had quite a few variances in the wiring colors for the speakers. be sure to verify before cutting/ connecting.

dbovine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not from experience with the mach system but I think you will notice less of a low end if you dont use the factory sub connector and not replace the sub with an aftermarket. Id install the deck, get the harness that used the mach amps for the door speakers, and either upgrade the factory sub while still using the stock amp( will require another small harness I believe) or go aftermarket if you need more bass.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Indeed, it is easy enough (and more cost effective) to upgrade one step at a time

Any one part of the upgrade can make a marked improvement in sound quality, but only once everything is done will you really see the full benefit.

Myself, I changed out the head unit only and left the remainder of the system OEM. Noticably better sound, but now the HU is putting out far more power than the crappy 17 year old OEM speakers can handle. They are living on borrowed time before they blow completely, and I expect to have to upgrade them before too much longer.

Whether or not you change one component at a time or all at once depends entirely on what you are trying to achieve and what your budget allows. Regardless, I strongly recommend you buy the best quality you can afford, especially when it comes to the head unit, and any cables/interconnects you add.

captainjko

Reaction score
I put in a Pioneer double din dvd stereo. I think it is an AVH-1400DVD, but cant remember right off. Can look tomorrow. People will tell you that it wont fit, but I trimmed a piece of tin out from the dash and it did fit. Using just this head unit and the factory speakers, (sub wasn't working when I got it) ....... IT SOUNDS GREAT!!