Aftermarket subwoofer replacement - need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboMatt

Reaction score
I have a 2000 XLT with the standard stereo system. I am in the process of putting together a complete system to replace all of the factory components.

I wanted to see what the general opinion was in regards to the MTX or other available brand replacements for the factory subwoofer. I use the rear area of my Expy all the time so I can't install a box/amp in that area. I'm not sure if I should try a stock subwoofer or if the aftermarket stock replacements are worth the extra coin.

Thanks,
Matt

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing this as well. My subwoofer doesn't provide any real punch at all. :(
I also use that space all of the time, so something that would"thump" a little more and not take up any space would be a great thing!

OP
OP
T

TurboMatt

Reaction score
newtofords - based on your response, it sounds like you have a factory subwoofer and are not very pleased with it?

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have what they called a subwoofer. It's the stock sound system which I believe is called a MACH. Maybe that's the brand, I'm not sure. I don't know much about sound systems, but it really provides nothing noticeable. In my other cars I've had real sound systems that thumped. This one does nothing of the sort.
It could have a lot to do with my car's age. It's a 1998 with a factory system so I'm sure there's been some wear and tear.

C_2g

Reaction score
Originally posted by newtofords
I have what they called a subwoofer. It's the stock sound system which I believe is called a MACH. Maybe that's the brand, I'm not sure. I don't know much about sound systems, but it really provides nothing noticeable. In my other cars I've had real sound systems that thumped. This one does nothing of the sort.
It could have a lot to do with my car's age. It's a 1998 with a factory system so I'm sure there's been some wear and tear.

hey bro I was doing the exact same research for my '02 EB. I finally opt'd to just replace my factory amp with a new factory amp. I think my factory setup sounds decent. I didnt want to put all the boom in it since it is the mothership that hauls the family on road trips.

But to help you out with your initial request, MTX makes a good direct replacement for the factory sub enclosure. It is called a Thunderform and the part number is FEN10A-T45 (amp included) or FEN10-T45 (non amplified).

You can not buy direct from MTX and they can be pricey. If you know a dealer or have a hook up they can get it to you for their cost. Here is the data on the Thunderform. Just copy and paste the url into a new browser window.
Code:
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/manualsQuickInstall/thunderforms/FEN10_specs.pdf

newtofords

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah...crutchfield has the amplified one for $550.
I'm not sure about car audio. Is that a good price for custom box sub and amp?

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a custom box built for much less then that to fit behind the 3rd seat and factory color matched. But in my case i have 4 10" subs back there, what really cost the most was the amp.

C_2g

Reaction score
Here is the cheapest place that I know of to buy from. There is an option to add the amp for an extra $130. So the total would be $395.00 US. Just copy and paste the link into a new browser window.
Code:
http://www.supercrewsound.com/shop/detail/11/130.htm

Breezyjr

Reaction score
Wow, $500 for a new sub and amp...
I think if you looked around at your local car shops, you could find a sub and amp for less $$$$

I also LOVE eBay for this kind of stuff, cause us car audiophiles are ALWAYS upgrading our systems. You can usually buy stuff for half price of new.

Good luck,
Breezyjr