Air Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Motorcraft oil and air filters.
Some of these are trucks (1st gens) and some are big wagons.

What possible improvement in performance can a $30 air filter provide? Puleeeze.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Motorcraft oil and air filters.
Some of these are trucks (1st gens) and some are big wagons.

What possible improvement in performance can a $30 air filter provide? Puleeeze.

Essentially none if all you're doing is dropping in a filter. Excessive oiling by a lot of people will screw the MAF readings up enough to negate any potential gains...

If the filter is part of a series of upgrades, including a tune, go for it.

The Chairman

Reaction score
I have K&N filters in all 5 of my vehicles and have used them for many decades. They work great and I have never had a problem with them. They clean the air better and allow a few more HP.
Like someone said, if you put too much oil on them, it can get to your MAF sensor and mess with it.
Cleaning every 50,000 miles and reinstalling is painless. The newer types by AirRaid are dry and don’t require oil. I have one of those and they are easy to rinse off. Happy with it so far.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I have K&N filters in all 5 of my vehicles and have used them for many decades. They work great and I have never had a problem with them. They clean the air better and allow a few more HP.
Like someone said, if you put too much oil on them, it can get to your MAF sensor and mess with it.
Cleaning every 50,000 miles and reinstalling is painless. The newer types by AirRaid are dry and don’t require oil. I have one of those and they are easy to rinse off. Happy with it so far.

Do you have any data to back up your claims of "cleaning the air 'better' and allow a few more HP..."? Thats marketing garble.

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Opinions seem to be all over the place, but from what I can glean there's not a lot of love for K&N Air Filters. General consensus is go with OEM. OEM (Motorcraft) was engineered for the engine and should stay with the engine.

That said, some proponents of K&Ns said they're great if your racing or doing other performance kinda driving, but for daily drivers go with stock filters.

Leery of dealer prices. Some after market places say their filters are just as good as OEM, but who knows?

Any recommendations? TIA

Wix air and oil filters in all of my vehicles for years.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
IMG_0307[1].JPG IMG_0307[1].JPG I run the K&N in my 5.0l Mustang GT. There is a 'K&N' air filter setting on some of the tuners. That tells me, they are letting more air into the engine. Re-mapping with the tuner takes advantage of it. The OEM paper original seemed very restrictive(I posted a photo). I am getting almost 19mpg city. My mileage went up about .5mi a gallon, with the tune and air filter change. 1/2 to wide open throttle feels better. My tires break loose stomping on it at 15-20mph. So yes, maybe 3-5 cheap hp and maybe a little extra mileage. My Expedition and Lincoln have the Fram AIRHOG. They look like they were made at the K&N factory, but orange. I found them on clearance for $20. I am getting around 18.5mpg with the 32V V8 Lincoln and it runs awesome. The Expedition runs good, but mileage sucks(12mpg). The OEM paper filter, was a unique round design with a plastic nose cone. I have never seen one like it. My guess it was probably doing a fairly good job already