air suspension problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good morning, I have noticed lately that the air suspension of my expy deflates when parked for a day or so. When I start the truck the rear end rises again with no issue at all. The compressor is not running all the time as the engine is running. Before when I turn the key to the on position I hear the compressor running. But now when I switch the key to on, I dont hear it running. Only when the engine starts, the rear end rises. My expy is a 2000 model 4.6L 4×2. Thank you.

Erich Zeppelin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the air suspension is supposed to deflate, its called kneeling. the air compressor only activates with the engine running. The main switch is located on the passenger side kick panel, make sure its in the on position, if you jack her up or put her on a lift, TURN IT OFF! as you are driving, the air bags and the air shocks with adjust ride hieght depending on road conditions and speed.

OP
OP
D

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I thought of that too. But ever since I bought the truck 4 years ago it still is at the same height. It does not deflate. Maybe a system glitch. Anyway my expy has not deflated again since my last post. It is parked outside. I will try to locate the switch. Thanks for replying!

AAS-1

Reaction score
When these things kneel, they aren't suppose to go down that much. If it's more than it usually is, you have a leak. This is a very poor design in my opinion and requires the very best quality parts if you stay with the air suspension. I for one, highly recommend doing a spring conversion on a 1997-2002 Ford Expedition.

Last edited:

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have noticed lately that the air suspension of my expy deflates when parked for a day or so.

Thats an indicator of leaking bags.

Switch off the compressor, raise the rear and look for cuts on the lower portion of the bags

Mine looked like this
b0be6b54.jpg

Comparison - new and old
10355691.jpg

decided to cut it up
35235b48.jpg

Last edited: