All Fixed, hoping to recoup expenses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Given what you have said - mechanic’s fault. If the plugs were replaced and properly torqued, they should stay in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well their you go with not getting something in writing which no shop will do. Trying going into small claims court without a written guarantee, stating the spark plugs will stay put, on a Ford defective design is next to impossible. It's horrible, but true. Even punishing yourself and crawling in there your self and torquing to the proper 16-19 ft pound torque is no guarantee. It really sucks that a company can make such a blunder and legally get away with it, but they do, and have since 1997!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nycnftm

nycnftm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Receipt

I did myself that I'm done spending money on this truck but first stop will be the guy who replaced the plugs with a 6 month warranty.

I can try to find a mobile mechanic to install the Car-Van inserts or the cheapy helicats.

Can I feasibly bring the truck the the dealer get an estimate on a full repair and go to small claims court?

There should be a warning under the hood stating, do not change the plugs or Ford should have fixed this 20 years ago.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I blew a plug out of my 2004 4.6L Grand Marquis ~3 months after I changed the plugs. I tried the cheap helicats, just don't.... Not enough grip.. I found a local shop that did the repair with the CarVan kit for $80 out the door. I drove the 2.5 miles from my house to the shop on 7 cylinders (plug & COP removed/ejected, fuel injector unplugged) on advice of the mechanic.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Always use Motorcraft plugs on the old modular V8's. Ford modified the threads, on replacement plugs. Always change them on a cold engine. Always make sure shop, has done one of these. If they haven't, move on. I had the dealer do mine($125), no issues, at 81K miles.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Ford dealer wants $500.00. What a difference a different part of the country makes. By the way guys not to be nit picky, but the cheaper thread inserts are called heli coils, not heli cats. Hell cats were I believe a 2 nd world war air plane fighter group. Also yes on the Motorcraft sparkplugs. Had a thread problem years back on my fleet of Harley Davidson twin cam bikes. The fancier plugs that the service guy before me bought, 12 of them, we're useless. They wouldn't even thread in. From that day on I only bought my plugs direct from The Harley dealer here in San Francisco. Harley at least had the sense back in 2000-2006 to put enough threads in their cylinder heads. Still blows my mind how a machinist designed a cylinder head, and cast it with half the necessary threads. On top of that, it never got corrected till 2004 for the F150, and 2005 for the Expedition, both the new 3 valve motors. That design started a whole new group of issues but you all know that nightmare!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nycnftm

nycnftm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just called, my local dealer wants $980 for 8 spark plugs and 8 coil packs. (Atlanta) I called another dealer asking how much to fix one that blew out. They said they use heli-coils and I'm looking at $650 if there is nothing is stuck or fell into ___. The person on the phone said she spoke to two techs, one didn't want to do it and the other said he would try. Wow, whata mess Ford!

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be more cost effective in the long run to get aftermarket heads?