All Fixed, hoping to recoup expenses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nycnftm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just blew a ton of money getting my Expy fixed. All previous owner neglected maintenance. Now I think I should bail out and try to recoup what I recently spent in repairs and but a newer one. Do you guys think anyone will buy it?

August 2018 approximately $2000 in repairs
* Battery
* 8 new spark plugs
* Alternator
* Front passenger side 02 sensor
* rewired vacuum hoses

May 2018 $500 at the dealer.

* new brake line (failed and I crashed)
* Front pads
* Flush fluid

162,000 miles A/C works. Eddie Bauer, leather, bottom of driver's seat torn all other leather fine.

Was hoping to get $2000. Was offered $1000 by the mechanic who charged me $1000 for part of the August work.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That $2k in repairs looks more like $250-300 parts... and a mechanic with exorbitant labor rates, which he applies to long lunches and siestas with multiple mistresses as well

I see $250 parts and 4 hours of labor

hammerg26

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Year?
Does it run now?
State of other parts (trans, etc.)?
How much do you drive daily?

Many of these run 250k plus.
And you have already spent the money to get it fixed.

Hammer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd keep it for awhile, might as well drive it. $2000.00 it must be rough other wise. What year/engine is it?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You don't mention the year. Here in New York, I spent a year trying to get $1000 for a very clean, well kept 2000 Expedition with LOTS of new parts and 235,000 miles. No body was interested.

I junked it for $450.

And it had new tires, new converters, plugs, manifolds, steering box and tranny lines. -- Lots of fun work.

The jerks here in NY with $1000 either go deep in debt or lease new Hondas for $5500 per year. Then they cry that they have no money.

Cars aren't good investments. That's why I do the work myself, keep them in good shape and run them until they just aren't reliable anymore, as I would with any good tool.

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All previous owner neglected maintenance.

* Battery
* 8 new spark plugs
* Alternator
* Front passenger side 02 sensor
* rewired vacuum hoses
* new brake line (failed and I crashed)
* Front pads
* Flush fluid

Neglected maintenance? A couple maybe, but most of that stuff falls under the fix-it-when-it-breaks category.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That $2k in repairs looks more like $250-300 parts... and a mechanic with exorbitant labor rates, which he applies to long lunches and siestas with multiple mistresses as well

I see $250 parts and 4 hours of labor

I see about $150 in parts, mate :)

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm guessing most of that $2000 was spent on labor redoing the vacuum lines. This is something I figure will have to be done eventually on mine, but I'll do it myself.

List it for sale and see if you get any takers. If not, drive it for awhile. You're pretty much at the bottom of the depreciation curve. Sell it now for $2000 or drive it for a year and sell it for $2000.