Alleged 2013 info from factory worker - confirm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digitalH2O

Reaction score
Originally I heard Ford was planning on a slight refresh for the 2013 model year, but today someone at a dealership who says he's in touch with a factory worker (not sure if that's true or not) who told him the 2013 will be a straight carryover from 2012.

I've been looking for information that deliniates what changes we can expect, and when. I'm in the market for a new Expy but you never know if it's worth the wait. For example, if I were in the market for a new Escape, I'd grab a 2012 because to me, the 2013 looks like a RAV4.

Thanks for any help you can give.

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone posted the sales figures on the expos through the years. The last 3 years were tanked. I don't think they would invest all that money into redesigning it when it isn't selling. Look at the trade in value of them vs an F150. My $60,000 expi is going for 16k at auction.

OP
OP
D

digitalH2O

Reaction score
You're right, and I checked for the Suburban's sales and they showed the same pattern. Though both had a slight uptick in 2010... maybe there's hope for the big SUVs after all? I'd hate to see the Expy go the way of the Excursion :(

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but not even close in numbers compared to the 1st generations. Those were in the 100,000's if not more. The 3rd gens are I think 20k if that

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Current large SUVs will never return to the numbers of the 1st Gen X's. You are looking at the hayday of SUVs. that is when they were kings. Unless you can figure out a way to make a 7,000 pound truck get 30+ MPG, you are not going to see it again. Will the X go away, I don't see that happening. But, I can see them having a long time between updates in style. As it is, there is a nice routine that all of the manufacturers have fallen into that revolves around a 7-8 year cycle. that way, no 2 manufacturers are redesigning their trucks in the same year. Look at it. You will see what I am talking about. I am not talking about the little updates that they do here and there. I am talking about the complete redesigns.

dougmcp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the popularity of the crew cab bodies the need for an Expy gets less and less. Anyone needing more than the 4 door version will have to go to a van.
IMO if they keep the Expy in the lineup it will be nothing more than an F-150 with a different back body.
Ford has resisted putting a diesel in these and if anything will just put an ecoboost motor in it like the pick up. The EPA mileage rules will eliminate this truck if they can't get the fuel economy up.

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ford dealer where I bought my Expy from said the V6 Ecoboost not being in the Expeditions is hurting Fords Expedition sales, they have a few customers that said they will wait for the Expeditions to recieve the V6 Ecoboost engine before they buy a new Expedition.

OP
OP
D

digitalH2O

Reaction score
A couple of great ideas there.

First, I think the Expy should be an F-150 with a different back. It's the 3rd row seat I'm after. I'd even buy an F-150 Expedition (like the old F-150 Rangers). Or call it the EX-150 for all I care :)

Also, an Ecoboost V6 in an Expedition sounds like a great idea. That would probably give a shot in the arm to Expedition sales and leave the Suburban in the dust.

OP
OP
D

digitalH2O

Reaction score
How much heavier is the Expy than the F-150? I couldn't find the info on fors.com.