ANC and Subwoofer Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DGeis

Reaction score
I had a local shop install an additional subwoofer and now the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) has become audible. It sounds like a bad signal, buzz that goes in and out without any pattern. The shop's solution is to disable ANC by disconnecting the microphones, which can always be reversed later.

I don't like this idea because I don't care about the sub enough to disable a valuable feature. I'd like to be able to put it in or out, say on a family vacation, and have the ANC providing a quieter ride.

Is there any other subwoofer signal that is clean and could be tapped?

Alternatively, does anyone know if there is a Forscan code to disable ANC? This would be less intrusive and allow me to turn back on easily.

I couldn't find anything on here or Google for either question, so thanks for your help!

Dan

2018 Expedition Platinum

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DGeis

Reaction score
It makes sense that it would be the ANC. It is amplifying a sound far beyond how it is tuned to operate. I read about other cars with ANC having the same issue.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they effed something up!! adding a sub should have 0 effect on ANC

The ANC is expecting the subwoofer to be in a specific location in the vehicle in order to use it to cancel out the offending noises. If you put the subwoofer in a different location, it will definitely screw up the noise cancellation.

With most vehicles, you have to turn off ANC (usually by unhooking the microphones or cutting wires) when you do any stereo upgrades.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i didnt think it used the audio system for ANC, i thought it had dedicated speakers for that, but i have no idea.

OP
OP
D

DGeis

Reaction score
Seems like something Forscan would be able to easily disable, just like the engine noise. Still hoping for a better alternative than physically disconnecting the system.

OP
OP
D

DGeis

Reaction score
I finally got some time to get Forscan installed and get familiar with using it. What a great tool!

I made some modifications unrelated to my subwoofer issue successfully.

However, I made one code revision that I found for the engine noise enhancement. It did not solve my problem.

How might I further research the modules and codes to search for disabling ANC? My current method (Google) seems to have tapped out.

Thanks
Dan

TBaganATX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a local shop install an additional subwoofer and now the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) has become audible. It sounds like a bad signal, buzz that goes in and out without any pattern. The shop's solution is to disable ANC by disconnecting the microphones, which can always be reversed later.

I don't like this idea because I don't care about the sub enough to disable a valuable feature. I'd like to be able to put it in or out, say on a family vacation, and have the ANC providing a quieter ride.

Is there any other subwoofer signal that is clean and could be tapped?

Alternatively, does anyone know if there is a Forscan code to disable ANC? This would be less intrusive and allow me to turn back on easily.

I couldn't find anything on here or Google for either question, so thanks for your help!

Dan

2018 Expedition Platinum

Where do they install the sub at? I have an XLT and will be upgrading my audio and I will be adding a sub. Just curious where they put it.

Thanks.
Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk