Another winter/summer tire video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I figure if the snow tires keep me out of the ditch even one time, it's worth the hassle to swap the wheels twice a year. I've got a 30 mile commute each way and roads can get pretty icy/snowy in my area. Gotta keep the shiny side up :)

GC2019

Reaction score
I always run two sets. I just bought a set of new 20” Expy wheels off of eBay and mounted TOYO Celcius for winter. The stock 22” Hankook summers tires are no match for winter here in Buffalo.
I like to store and keep the 22” looking new.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always run two sets. I just bought a set of new 20” Expy wheels off of eBay and mounted TOYO Celcius for winter. The stock 22” Hankook summers tires are no match for winter here in Buffalo.
I like to store and keep the 22” looking new.

Agree that it's nice to keep the fair weather wheels out of the salt and calcium chloride brine so they stay looking nice longer! I went with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tires. Decided not to run studded tires since they don't stop well on wet roads in my experience. I wish Ford would have the Expy recognize two sets of TPMS. I change my own wheels, but have my tire shop reset the TPMS when I swap wheels. My old Mercedes would recognize two sets of TPMS, so no hassle with swapping wheels once they had both been programmed.

Jeka

Reaction score
Agree that it's nice to keep the fair weather wheels out of the salt and calcium chloride brine so they stay looking nice longer! I went with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV tires. Decided not to run studded tires since they don't stop well on wet roads in my experience. I wish Ford would have the Expy recognize two sets of TPMS. I change my own wheels, but have my tire shop reset the TPMS when I swap wheels. My old Mercedes would recognize two sets of TPMS, so no hassle with swapping wheels once they had both been programmed.
Mine recognizes two sets of wheels without programming - I got OEM Motorcraft TPMS42 sensors.
Bought the tool as well (Motorcraft TPMS19) - but didn’t need it.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine recognizes two sets of wheels without programming - I got OEM Motorcraft TPMS42 sensors.
Bought the tool as well (Motorcraft TPMS19) - but didn’t need it.

I bought a set of sensors that can be cloned and I had the tire shop clone them to match the original sensor codes on my Expy. The issue that I've run into is that when you rotate the tires without reprogramming, the actual readings on the instrument cluster for the 4 tire locations don't match the correct tire anymore. First world problems I suppose...

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put Blizzaks on my AWD '17 Fusion. As long as the snow is not real deep, it handles better than '17 Expi with stock tires. I use to use my Musgang GT ad a DD in NJ. My round trip comute was 100 miles. With 4 snows it perfomed not to bad. It does have an Eton Truetrac, but a great deal of the handeling I attribute to the snow tires. It is an investment to have seperate rims and tires ... but if you are going to drive in snow, it is worth it.

Jeka

Reaction score
I bought a set of sensors that can be cloned and I had the tire shop clone them to match the original sensor codes on my Expy. The issue that I've run into is that when you rotate the tires without reprogramming, the actual readings on the instrument cluster for the 4 tire locations don't match the correct tire anymore. First world problems I suppose...
Maybe that’s not applicable to you - in my case I need to drive 5-15 minutes after wheels swap, before I can see correct pressure on the dash. Or use the tool to force it :)