Anti-Theft Unexpededly Activated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last night after my family and I stopped into the pet store and came back out my 08' Expy wouldn't start. Initially I thought my battery was dead and had a individual try and jump me with no luck. Then I had him take me to the local Farm and Fleet to get a new battery still with no luck. My wife then noticed that the anti-theft light was flashing when turned the key to run position. I am using the factory keys and haven't changed since I bought it about a month ago. What triggered the anti-theft??? Its being towed to the Ford Dealership now as we speak to be looked at.

OP
OP
tpndrcn

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer is telling me that pinpoint test is pointing towards a bad P.A.T.(Passive Anti-Theft) transceiver and if not that then the cluster!!

OP
OP
tpndrcn

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DF5.4 yes i did try my other factory key and it didn't work either. It says to try different keys or, wait 15 mins and it will reset. I also unhooked the battery and still no results. I gave the dealer the go ahead to replace the P.A.T.s transceiver today so i will keep you all updated. It looks like the Gen 2 Expys had this condition too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
tpndrcn

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just received a phone call from the dealer , the transceiver was bad ,however it didn't fix my no start issue. After further testing it revealed that the smart junction box is bad, so another $260 but hopefully will have it back tomorrow. I asked them to find out from the tech what may have caused this. I was a previous Ford Tech but wasn't the diag guy so its beyond my scope.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer were to inform you that the SJB didn't solve the problem and the next item that would need to be replaced is either the PCM or the Inst. cluster.

OP
OP
tpndrcn

tpndrcn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
roxy1225, Fortunately the Smart Junction Box fixed the issue!, $530 later. My question would be what caused it all to go bad. I read that the junction boxes had issues, and also that leaking windshields can cause them to go bad. To the best of my knowledge this wasn't an issue , but maybe I was the luckly one with a faulty S.J.B.