Anyone dealt with rotting rocker panels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those. This is the first I'm seeing real-world fitment of the slip-ons.

Based on those I think it might be worth getting some sheet metal and spending a little time with the metal brake and welder to address the problem areas.

Paul Prekeris

Reaction score
I thought the same, but some concerns:
1. the sheet metal on the slipon's is thinner than 16 gauge. a standard brake may work on thin shit metal, but not on 16 gauge
2. the slips dont extend on the bottom to the inner panel.. i would need to extend the full length underneath
3. maybe use as a template to create 16 gauge replacements, but it will take a heavy duty brake. unless i can find a shop that has a hydraulic brake.

I'll take any suggestions...

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you may be better off with the the rockers that Habbibie used. Cut out the old ones and weld these in.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Here in Rockaway, we use Karnak roofing tar and that black membrane gauze that comes in a roll. For structural stuff, we fill it with that expanding foam spray first.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought the same, but some concerns:
1. the sheet metal on the slipon's is thinner than 16 gauge. a standard brake may work on thin shit metal, but not on 16 gauge
2. the slips dont extend on the bottom to the inner panel.. i would need to extend the full length underneath
3. maybe use as a template to create 16 gauge replacements, but it will take a heavy duty brake. unless i can find a shop that has a hydraulic brake.

I'll take any suggestions...
I've got an excellent fabricator in Howell and he's got the right equipment for the job. He's just busy as shiat so it might be tough to fit into his schedule.

I'm going to see him on Sunday anyway so I'll ask if he'd be interested in running a batch of rockers out of quality metal. Might be more motivating if he knows he can crank out like 10 sets if there's a market for the stuff.

Paul Prekeris

Reaction score
Im in for a set of rockers.. Will need both left and right sides. being local in NJ is icing on cake... please keep me posted.. IF he is interested in fixing the truck, id be interested in having him look at it..

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He's interested. I spoke with him yesterday and he's going to take a look at my truck this Sunday. The goal will be to come up with a design that he can cut out on the waterjet, bend, and have on hand as orders come in.

I'll keep you updated.

Plati

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question by why wouldnt you make rocker panels out of galvanized sheet metal like duct work is made out of? It would have much better corrosion resistance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev