Anyone dealt with rotting rocker panels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to make plywood rocker panels.
I enjoy making stuff.

Plus, No way I'm spending much money on The Rustbucket

Paul Prekeris

Reaction score
Purchased drivers slip ons to try out.. The rear door panel only covers about 1/2 rocker. not a fan of slip on's.. Trying to find replacement rockers for 2011 EL. read the thread about using 2003-2006. has anyone tried using these rockers on 2010 or newer? any help is appreciated.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a fix that doesn’t involve many thousands to fix this? We are thinking of upgrading the truck but not for another year or two since other than this it’s been a great truck. Sure I’ve had to replace a couple of parts but it’s an 11 year old truck that’s exposed to CT’s crappy roads and salt.

View attachment 25724

I have the same problem on my 2003 Expy EB. I had the passenger side fixed 2 years ago for $600. The drivers side is stating to go but it's not too bad yet. If you do repair it yourself please post updates of your progress. Good Luck.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Purchased drivers slip ons to try out.. The rear door panel only covers about 1/2 rocker. not a fan of slip on's.. Trying to find replacement rockers for 2011 EL. read the thread about using 2003-2006. has anyone tried using these rockers on 2010 or newer? any help is appreciated.
Do you have any photos of how everything lines up and/or where it falls short? I'm still weighing my options.

Sorry I can't help with input on the 2006 rockers just yet. I still have a pile of other projects to address before I tackle the rust and am only in the gathering-info phase.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Do you have any photos of how everything lines up and/or where it falls short? I'm still weighing my options.

Sorry I can't help with input on the 2006 rockers just yet. I still have a pile of other projects to address before I tackle the rust and am only in the gathering-info phase.

Well first you need a new set of rockers to line out where they will bolt up/weld to, a good rule of thumb is you line up the new ones and draw a sharpie line on the edges then use a saw and cut 1/8" below the sharpie line.. that's the rule I used and worked flawlessly for me in the end.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score

Supposedly the frame/body from 2003-2017 is the same, the best I can suggest to you is buy a set for a 03-06 and see how they line up to your 2011, the worst that'll happen is they'll charge you 20% restocking fee on $100 part! Then you'll know for sure if it works or not

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Saw a couple post about using rust converter, believe it needs to be top coated to work. With checking some other threads and finding out that there are numerous holes on the inside of rocker. Wonder if we could use the small cans of rust proofing and spray thru the factory holes and coat the inside of most of the rocker, or have a undercoating company do the work, then seal the holes.

Plati

Reaction score
you Sir have the most useless post on all of expeditionforum.com's HISTORY! if you dont want to fix it Then sell it and ****!
Sell Rusty, my beloved Rustbucket?
How can one sell one's best friend?
I'll drive this BEAST until she can drive NO MORE and then bury her in the backyard alongside my old dog "Chipper".

I used a pressure washer on the cancer yesterday and removed a big pile of rust. Blew it onto the grass making that area iron rich. I expect an explosion of green growth there now. Expedition afterlife!