Anyone know how to get remote start, lock/unlock functionality in fordpass with the 2017 Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Smartlink was failed from the start. There was PLENTY of interest. The hardware was flawed. I was in the Beta group. I had the hardware, and they never activated it. It was half baked from the beginning. They had reception issues with it, and it was buggy.
I'm not at all surprised to hear this after my experience with the 4G update on my Focus Electric. Ford had an application that worked and killed it when 3G got shut down. I paid $400 for the modem update and switched to FordPass, then waited 8 months for Ford to implement a fix on the backend so I could actually get the functionality I had already paid for. They scheduled a dealership appointment to fix it a week out. The day before the appointment, Ford left me a voicemail saying they made a change on the server side that fixed the issue. So then I was left to wonder...could the fix have been implemented months earlier? Hopefully Ford can recruit better tech talent now that the technology industry is downsizing.

cywebit

Reaction score
"OBDII port can have some kind of splitter installed."
I WAS running a splitter, one for my GPS tracking, the other for Forscan, worked fine until one day my truck would not start, acted like a dead battery. Once I removed everything from the OBDII port, started right up.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"OBDII port can have some kind of splitter installed."
I WAS running a splitter, one for my GPS tracking, the other for Forscan, worked fine until one day my truck would not start, acted like a dead battery. Once I removed everything from the OBDII port, started right up.
You most likely had a crossed wire or one of your devices plugged in was faulty.

Also, what does this have to do with the topic of this thread?

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like I was mistaken!

Here is the website that lists what year it was added to each vehicle:

Man, it has been a while. I know we used the old Ford Cell Based add on module in the 2015. Worked great. Been a while, guess we moved that to the 2017, cause I know the wife used her phone to remote start the Expedition.

Yup, this was the “Ford Custom Accessories - Remote Access” application. Third party servicer; Voxx International. Worked great, until AT&T decided to deprecate 3G bands and left us in the dust. I got way further into their support team than I expected, to the point where I was offering to use my own cellular modem, if they would agree to keep the backend infrastructure up (which literally was just a few virtual machines, a SQL database and routing rules). But they didn’t go for it…as their biggest issue was the cost of an enterprise agreement with a cellular provider each year.

As said above, I too was all about the Ford SmartLink. I called dealerships all over the country for months trying to get my hands on one. Sounds like it wasn’t ready for prime time and they just dropped it.

Any third party solution I’ve looked at (including Verzion‘s now Hum service) couldn’t support remote start.

If anyone figures out how to integrate FordPass into a 2016/2017, I’m in and happy to test. (Yes I have a 2016 but upgraded to support Sync 3. Which in fact, I need to update as a new release just dropped..)

My two cents, if it’s not made for or designed by FoMoCo, I’ll pass. When I first received the deprecation notification, I was calling shops all over town. The only way to get cellular remote start was to integrate a Viper system.

I’ve got no beef with Viper….they make some pretty cool stuff. I’ve just never had good luck with 3rd party tools on newer cars.

Last edited: