Anyone Running Dual Batteries?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
102 views and no one! There have been a few random posts about people wanting to. But no one has found a really good mounting location. Are you wanting to do a winch or a lot of lights? I have decided on a solar generator to run my fridge when the solar panels can’t do it. The Expy’s alternator seems to handle a 50” light bar four pods ands it’s own power consumption pretty good for short uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Expedition Dave

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking towards the future Foz. Depending, my plan is to add an extra lightweight battery, plumbed and secured if/when I do want a fridge, winch, etc. as backup along with a solar panel or two for extra charging.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ran 3 batteries on my 2004 F350....the factory 2 under the hood and 3rd, isolated, that was mounted to the frame rail (for stereo & inverter).

I used the battery "tray" (more like a box) from the e350 (which mounted their batteries on the frame rail.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everything is so tight under the Expy. I would like to have a second battery. I could take the spare out and put it on my rack. But I am not a fan of that. rear bumper spare tire holder would be cool. If I could find one or make one. I could also build a custom shaped Lithium battery pack, but that wouldn’t really work for a winch. Lights and fridge it would be fine. Back to the top for more ideas.

OP
OP
Expedition Dave

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just hesitant about having a battery where I am going to sleep do to--what is it? Off-gassing?
No Fozola--I mean from the battery, not my famous "Make-a-Run-For-The-Bathroom Chili"!!

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just hesitant about having a battery where I am going to sleep do to--what is it? Off-gassing?
No Fozola--I mean from the battery, not my famous "Make-a-Run-For-The-Bathroom Chili"!!

sounds like a perfect use case for one of those (pricey) lithium type

PHIL NOWASKI

Reaction score
Everything is so tight under the Expy. I would like to have a second battery. I could take the spare out and put it on my rack. But I am not a fan of that. rear bumper spare tire holder would be cool. If I could find one or make one. I could also build a custom shaped Lithium battery pack, but that wouldn’t really work for a winch. Lights and fridge it would be fine. Back to the top for more ideas.

Check out Hitch bumper tire carrier from rigd supply and its made in the US

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
AGM’s do not off gas unless they are severely over charged. And once you open the vent you pretty much ruined the battery. The problem with LiFePO4’s is they have low pulse amp numbers. Depending on the battery you may get 100 amps for 10 seconds. A good AGM will get you 800 amps and a Odyssey can get up over the 2K on select batteries. So I don’t think they would do very well with the winching application. With a fridge and lights they are great. You can buy a Battle Born that is totally plug and play, charges at the same AGM rate has a 200 amp load for 30 seconds and weights 31 lbs for $1K. Made in the USA and is a Nevada company. But where do you put it?