Anyone use their Expedition for camping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadetree

Reaction score
Yes, I use my expeiditon for camping and I pulled a 25 foot Coleman Popup. My husband and I have 6 kids amd felt the popup was the better way to go than an upright big camper. Saves on gas. I get about 20 mpg pulling my camper (4000 lbs) on the highway with all seats filled and the icechest full of beer, and oh yeah, food, HA. I do have the towing package installed on my Ford which has the transmission cooler, also. Love it love it love it.

Wow...I haven't seen 20 MPG since my VW camper days back in the 70's...I didn't think an Expy could get 20....I've been thinking seriously about a pop-up...My rig has worked great, but it is a PITB when I want to leave my camp set up and drive the Expy...It's real easy to put a lift on the pop-up...

I'm not the best at remembering to take pics on my trips..My son says he has some of the Expy he will send me..I gave him my old Cherokee and it is rigged just like my Expy...6 kids?...and I thought I had all I could handle with just one...;)

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly...

Bigfoot Girl

Reaction score
Expedition Camping

I have used my 1997 Expedition for several years to camp across the US. I have been from WA to GA. I set it up in different ways depending on the camping trip. I have a Bull Mastiff that travels with me and we sleep on a 4" memory foam that is placed right behind the front seats on top of the back seats in the down position.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have used my 1997 Expedition for several years to camp across the US. I have been from WA to GA. I set it up in different ways depending on the camping trip. I have a Bull Mastiff that travels with me and we sleep on a 4" memory foam that is placed right behind the front seats on top of the back seats in the down position.

I personally don't like memory foam because it's so slow to change shape. I like just regular foam or better yet the polyfil mattress toppers. Definitely need 4"+ for foam though. The second gen lays more flat than the first gen. I don't know about the 3rd gen.

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get the 4wd at least, I have used my expy to camp with a tent and inside hahah. I’d say roof top tent but that’s just me, on the norm the whole rear is full with wood and coolers and chairs then a tent and i took the rear plastic panels out and am able to hand a few gallons of water on the area under the window with bungee cords and put a first aid kit and axe and tow chain some motor oil and other necessities in the hollow area on the left side as the right has my sub and amp. I have thick rubber in the trunk area so I can just pull it out and wash it as well. Also the second row fold with foam pads or a air mattress is the best if you dont have anything in the truck.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Expy Camping

I modified my 03 for camping years ago and now customizing a 2014 EL. I only use it for travel. All the seats except for jump seat removed from rear area replaced by a platform along one side front to back (L around rear seat) to sleep on with storage space underneath ... multiple removable covers. In the new Expy I raised the platform up 4 inches for additional storage space and replaced the stock panels above tire changing tool section - to maximize space. Got durable rubber sheets from the Depot to cover any exposed floor and carpet matching stock colors to cover the 3/4" plywood platform so it almost looks like it was built that way. Also makes it handier to clean. Just yank carpet out and shake. Can store a lot of stuff under platform, not everything. Built in a couple "secure" compartments for valuables. Use removable suction cups on back windows with fabric to block am sun. Custom built cedarwood screens for 2 back door windows, use blue painters tape to bug seal when camping since there are small gaps. I just built a tarp addition for the side ... for sun shade/rain protection. IMG_20160504_130532735_HDR_zpsslqmx4s9.jpg

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Since Photobucket went offline (now requires a lot of money for third party hosting), I'm posting the pic of my tarp addition (in action in Glacier National Park at Bowman Lake) and a picture of the inside platform ... with nothing in it (like my bed, etc).
IMG_0630.JPG IMG_0321.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT