Apples to apples Plati just driving around town

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotthere

Reaction score
Ok, just want to compare mileage. Bought my 2019 plati CPO with ~19,000 miles. I just refilled after my first full tank I filled with 93 octane. Results were abysmal having read milage quotes In the 15 to 19's I'm sitting at calculated 12.7. (Total disappointment) Disappointed doesn't come close to my reaction more like WTF? I love the truck. Lots or pluses but this Forum proports these trucks to get 15-19 city. I just want to get a real what I get when I don't GIVEAFUxK about what I'm doing driving around town. Just get there, avoid idiots and listen to the BO sound which is not all that. If it is what it is fine. If not I need it fixed.

12.7 Is not even close to expected or even FORD claimed MPG of 17/23.5. That is 100 miles less per tank. Not nothing.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ease up on the right pedal. If you are hard on the pedal, you will be single digits easy. Mine gets like 12 in town just like you reported....

The lifetime average on my 2018 4x4 Max, tow pack is 19.5 mpg and its all short trips back and forth to work.....

OP
OP
S

scotthere

Reaction score
Thanks DM. Your 12 makes me feel better that somethings not wrong. Longest trip to date was home from dealer 80 miles. The rest is all local COVID miles to the store, take-out and back etc. So you are saying 17 city requires ******* off all my fellow ccomputers? Being the driver I yell at all the time?

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The key to get good mileage in town is to use the boost to get up to speed pretty fast, then cruise off boost. I always have a boost gage in the cluster.

I get around 16 in town this way. My wife barely gets 13 under similar conditions.

OP
OP
S

scotthere

Reaction score
The key to get good mileage in town is to use the boost to get up to speed pretty fast, then cruise off boost. I always have a boost gage in the cluster.

I get around 16 in town this way. My wife barely gets 13 under similar conditions.

That sounds like how I like to drive get there and cruise. Will try it.

13.8 is only 80% of 17 rated so just hoping maybe it could be tuned better. I got 15 actual 16 rated on the cady 93% rated so it isn't all the foot.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you just purchased it, i would do a whole reset by unplugging you battery. The tranny is adapted to the previous owner still, and if their driving habits illicited fuel drinking, itll keep doing that until it relearns new more conservative habits.

Also, balance is key with the b&o, its actually really good, tuned right and sublime about 30% in the volume range(10 - 14). Since im a hip hop and r&b guy mostly, i tuned the treble slightly higher than bass to prevent the muddy bass drown out and maxed the mid to help push intricacies in the melodies and background sounds. No song was a opera symphony, but every song sounded rich, clear and true. I didnt realize how good it was until id be in other cars(to not having the truck anymore) and missing the sound quality of the songs i did listen too.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm...I get 15+ burying my foot in the pedal. I guess you got a lemon or something. I recently towed 3000# to Lake Powell and back and got 17mpg+ the whole trip (note that when I tow my 6500# camper, I'm pretty hard-pressed to get more than 11mpg). Just driving to the grocery store and back...and considering my lead-foot, I'm getting 15mpg+, easily.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can push mine down that far some tanks. Check air filter and tires is all I’ve got for you. I floor it every on-ramp that is clear in front of me. Wrong guy to ask how to up the numbers.

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
I have a ranger, expedition, and cmax - all recent model years.

Cmax gives 30-50mpg but is a small SUV with delicate tires, no 4x4, and no towing capability of any kind. I can fit 4-5 people in it, but it's designed for 2. It cost only 25k after govt rebates

Ranger gives 15-25mpg, behaves like a sports car in a small truck frame, has great cargo and towing, ok 4x4, but uses 5yr+ old tech and in the cab form I have is really best for solo driving. Itcan drive most anywhere but the lack of 360 camera severely hinders it. Ranger cost 35k.

Expedition gives 8-30mpg and is more my traveling all-in-one. It tows great like an f150, but you get truck mpg 8-12mpg when towing heavy. Fill up gas about every 200 miles. It can carry 6 people, a kayak, two dogs, and tow a travel trailer at the same time. It can go down wider trails in 4x4 mode like the ranger and conquer hilly terrain or beach sand confidently. Driving on the freeway solo and near empty payload, I oscilate between 20-30mpg if there is minimal traffic. The vehicle is supremely fuel efficient if you accelerate it and don't have to hit the breaks.

The main weakness of the expedition other than the 70k+ $ purchase price is stop and go driving on short roads where you barely get up to 30 mph before you have to stop at an intersection. In that environment, the expedition is going to get 12-15mpg depending on how you drive it. There is no getting around the fuel wasted stopping a heavy large SUV.

The good news is that Ford can fix this by adding a small hybrid battery and regenerative braking in the next generation, but Ford marketing is keeping the pure ICE design going as long as it can. The next f150 gen has it, so I assume the expy will get it in 2022 or 2023. I assume Ford is doing everything it can to emphasize expedition versatility and luxury.... city driving mpg is more a competitive minimum performance benchmark they just check off to stay competitive... and the high highway and avg mpg numbers hide the poor city driving numbers.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you just purchased it, i would do a whole reset by unplugging you battery. The tranny is adapted to the previous owner still, and if their driving habits illicited fuel drinking, itll keep doing that until it relearns new more conservative habits.

Also, balance is key with the b&o, its actually really good, tuned right and sublime about 30% in the volume range(10 - 14). Since im a hip hop and r&b guy mostly, i tuned the treble slightly higher than bass to prevent the muddy bass drown out and maxed the mid to help push intricacies in the melodies and background sounds. No song was a opera symphony, but every song sounded rich, clear and true. I didnt realize how good it was until id be in other cars(to not having the truck anymore) and missing the sound quality of the songs i did listen too.
Pulling battery cable won’t do it. You need to drain the capacitors for the keep alive memory reset to work. Pull battery cable, turn every accessory light on hi and lows, interior, door. All that. Or just get a tuning device and reset it that way. But just pulling a cable won’t do it