Apples to apples Plati just driving around town

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
Just finished a trip from the DC Metro area to Fort Myers Florida and averaged 20.9 MPG for the trip. 93 Octane normal drive setting. I purposely did not do the ECO setting for this trip but will engage for the return trip. I normally get between 15-17 MPG when driving around town.

OP
OP
S

scotthere

Reaction score
My observed mileage:

13.2 mpg, “in town,” (heavy stop n go)
17.7 mpg “around town” suburbs (1 mile between stoplights)
21.8 highway at 80 mph
9.7 mpg, highway at 80 mph with 3800 lb trailer
17.6 Mpg lifetime
Helpful info. You point out the distinction between city stop and go and city light traffic conditions. Makes it difficult comparing "city" mileage if the cities are different, the route is different, the time of day is different etc.... then there is the foot, drive mode, start stop etc....

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Matticus

Reaction score
Ease up on the right pedal. If you are hard on the pedal, you will be single digits easy. Mine gets like 12 in town just like you reported....

The lifetime average on my 2018 4x4 Max, tow pack is 19.5 mpg and its all short trips back and forth to work.....

I get what you are saying here, but I think a better way to approach this is "avoid using the left pedal". Anytime you use your brakes, it's like taking gasoline out of your tank, pouring it on your rotors and pads and then lighting it on fire. If you were light on the gas pedal, but heavy on the brakes, you could fool yourself into thinking you are being more efficient when you are not and, instead, just irritate the drivers around you and not get the joy of acceleration. On the flip side, if you were heavy on the gas pedal, but never used the brakes (theoretical situation), you ensure that as much gasoline as possible went into propelling the vehicle as opposed to heating up your brakes. Of course, this means that being light on the gas pedal is often a natural byproduct. However, if your mindset is to use the brakes less as opposed to the gas pedal less, it changes your approach to driving more successfully and with better results than making it a goal to be light on the gas pedal

Last edited:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"avoid using the left pedal".
The Insurance company has taught you well with their OBD driving gadget. Either that or you work for a insurance company.

All kidding aside you are correct Sir.
That's what gets my road rage up when i am doing 45 and a Prius pulls out in front of me and I have to slam on brakes when there is no one behind me? WTF?
Then they get all the props for saving carbon output when actually they are causing more.

Damn save the world hippies.........Prius.........no driving..........cost me $4 in gas.........take it out of his .....

ok vented I feel better. (at least until they do it again)

Matticus

Reaction score
The Insurance company has taught you well with their OBD driving gadget. Either that or you work for a insurance company.

All kidding aside you are correct Sir.
That's what gets my road rage up when i am doing 45 and a Prius pulls out in front of me and I have to slam on brakes when there is no one behind me? WTF?
Then they get all the props for saving carbon output when actually they are causing more.

Damn save the world hippies.........Prius.........no driving..........cost me $4 in gas.........take it out of his .....

ok vented I feel better. (at least until they do it again)

You've angried up my blood! I'm going to go yell at some neighbor kids that I'm sure have been on my lawn recently...

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off 87 is fine for around town and for best mileage eco mode keeps RPM down. If your running normal mode you won’t get best mileage. Around town my 19 plat with heavy tow pack 10,000 miles on it, will return 14-15mpg in Normal mode. And 16-17 in eco mode. Occasionally in mild temps I’ll see a local tank average of 18mpg. Thats using the eco mode every time and the idle stop at lights.

Reaction score
I have an 18 Expy Limited 4x4. When I first got it I drove a couple weeks and got 19+ avg. Then I leveled it and put larger wider tires on it and still today avg 16. I have a heavy foot too. Haven’t been doing many hwy miles since COVID hit but my mileage is still around 15.5.

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
OK. In the name of research, I took one for the team on the drive back from Fort Myers Florida to Vienna, VA which was 1080 miles. I decided that ECO mode and a maximum of 70 MPH were my two guideposts. This was painful research as I think a guy on a bicycle in Georgia want pas me, AND a Prius with a bumper sticker that said "follow my lead" kept showing up in front of me through Florida. :mad::eek:

Here are the final numbers"
  • Average mile per tankful = 518 (I chicken out twice as the fuel range said I had another 20 miles both times, however, it was dark and I decided not to push my luck)
  • Average fuel consumption per the computer = 22.3 MPG
  • Best feature used = Adaptive Cruise. This was the first time I use it extensively and it worked well. I had the same feature on my 2007 Audi Q7 and it was amazing even in stop and go traffic. The Ford was not as impressive, but it worked very well on those long stretches of road where I had to restrain myself from punching the gas pedal to the floor.
  • Interesting Observation = Florida roads are much better than up north. They are smooth and make much less noise. Must be the lack of snow.
Final verdict, it is not worth my sanity to get an extra 1.5 MPH on a 1000 mile road trip. I now know that the Jamaican Beast can get more than 22 MPG, but have no desire to ever actually see that again. I can live with 19MPG and 85MPH for 1000 miles

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So after the first 15,300+ miles, my trip computer was off by +0.89 MPG (5.4%) which equates to about 1 gallon. The standard deviation was 0.4 MPG, so pretty wide variation. Using the formula for actual mpg / computer mpg * 1000 (factory default AFE value) I came up with a corrected AFE bias of 949. To set the AFE value you have to enter the engineering test mode by holding the Menu button while pressing the start button without pressing the brake pedal, holding the menu button until ET displays on the cluster. You can then scroll to find the AFE bias value.

So my results on the first fill after adjusting the trip computer was 0.05 MPG lower than the actual. It is hard to get closer than that. After I collect a few more data points I can post my results. I have only been that close once before and that was on a top off before we left on a trip (7 gallons).