awd feels like 4x4 stuck on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its a 99 xlt 5.4 4x4 ok im stumped only thing I can think is the shifter servo but yet it shifts between 4x4 hi and low my problem is it feels like its in 4x4 hi when awd is selected on the knob and I have had bad gas mpg 200 and only a 1/4 left in the tank I feel it when making tight turns and has the binding feeling when in 4x4 but is selected in awd. I have checked fuses and all were good but the #5 under the dash but that I think has to do with my reverse light cause I have fog lights hooked up to it and a wire got ripped out by snow. if this is confusing plz just tell me I will clear it all up. the only reason I thought servo cause a lot of f150 have that go bad but when it does for them it wont shift out of anything but I think mine shifts from hi to low 4x4

B

bedrck46

Have attached the electrical prints for the AWD system check all 3 fuses use a meter to check fuses not just your eyes

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bedrck46

#104 under hood fuse block # 15 AND #23 under dash fuse block Do you have an owners manual if not you can download one from owner.ford.com

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup all fuses good and i just got to work and tried four low and it shifts from hi to low. So it juat feels like 4x4 is always on even in awd and when slowing down ot has that 4x4 hum from the tires. Im lost on what it is.

B

bedrck46

The Vehicle Does Not Shift Between A4WD and 4WD Modes Properly

4WD mode switch.
Circuitry.
CJB Fuses 23 (10A) and 20 (5A)
A4WD clutch relay/circuit.
Contact plate sensors A, B, C and D circuits.
Transfer case shift motor/circuit.
Transfer case shift relays.
Transfer case mechanism.
GEM.

Check the mode switch for these resistance values

Mode Switch Position Resistance Range
A4WD 3,700-4,100
4WD HIGH 1,040-1,160
4WD LOW 340-380

OP
OP
R

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did the brown wire mod for the mean time the brown wire mod did the trick and nowis not stuck in 4x4 in awd it was getting pretty bad just driving in parking lots. I didnt. Add a switch tho, relays ,fuses were all good

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just an update but mu tramsfer case is the problem cause its stuck in 4x4 even un plugged the harness and still stuck.... i removed the front drive shaft and it works great

Milwaukee

Reaction score
I had that issue for year. I got sick of it I cut the brown wire. BAM it in 2WD and can switch to 4WD no problem. No more auto 4wd for me.