Bad wheel bearing at only 30k miles!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have been chasing a growling noise in my 2018 Expy which seemed to be driveline related. Had it to one dealer that couldn't diagnose and said everything was normal. I persisted since I knew it wasn't right and took it to a 2nd dealer that quickly diagnosed a bad driver's side front wheel bearing and replaced the integrated hub assembly which includes the wheel bearing. It sounded like noisy tread on tires but changed pitch at the same speeds. I also got a bit of vibration through the accelerator at times. Glad it's solved! I think I've learned my lesson about which dealer I'll be going to in the future!

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Odd that you had a vibration in the through the accelerator and not the steering wheel. Did the second dealer have an explanation.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Vibration in the accelerator pedal was minor and felt like it does when 4 high is engaged. Glad it’s fixed now and I’ll know what to watch for if the other side acts up.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mid 40k milage I had an issue with mine as well, it was both the fronts. Come to find out the Navigator really doesn’t like tearing through forest service roads…doggone pavement princess.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
anyone got sound recording on this? i’m pretty sure i’ve got it as well- it seems to oscillate faster & slower in correlation with speed - and becomes less noticeable when less torque is applied to the front end drivetrain, more when light pressure on pedal with less engine noise. kinda sounds like something is in the rotor but new brakes last month & still there. less than stellar dealer blames my AT tires - bs since it’s been making that noise since i had the oem Toyo OC HT-D’s mounted. i guess i gotta wait till it gets worse or try another dealer. meh.

Jettix2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had both front wheel bearings replaced on my 2018 Max at 60k miles. Seems like an “under-built” part on these.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had many wheel bearings fail on my last Ford. So far, just 1 wheel hub assembly on the Expedition has failed. I replaced it with an SKF.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
anyone got sound recording on this? i’m pretty sure i’ve got it as well- it seems to oscillate faster & slower in correlation with speed - and becomes less noticeable when less torque is applied to the front end drivetrain, more when light pressure on pedal with less engine noise. kinda sounds like something is in the rotor but new brakes last month & still there. less than stellar dealer blames my AT tires - bs since it’s been making that noise since i had the oem Toyo OC HT-D’s mounted. i guess i gotta wait till it gets worse or try another dealer. meh.
Mine was really subtle so I don’t think I could have captured it. I will say that the dealer said there was no issue at first but I pressed them on it and they went back out with some type of stethoscope attachment that plugged into a sensor plug on the hub and they were able to diagnose it that way. It is a low roaring noise that could be mistaken for MT tires.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65