Banker with tools vs Cylinder Head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Well...at exactly 4:15 PM yesterday I had the engine all back together.

4:16 I cracked a beer looking at the glorious build and thinking about where that one extra bolt goes that I had left over.

4:17 I sat in the drivers seat and put the key in the ignition. Let the fuel pump pressurize.

4:18 Boom baby. Started within seconds and purred better than my 2012 F150 Ecoboost.

4:19 Turned off the engine and went to check things out. A lot of smoke was coming out. Pinpointed it to the exhaust - Lots of oil and coolant hit it when i took the head off.

4:25 Took my kid for a good run...................Everything is Perfect.... F'ing Perfect! (Pinks coming to Edmonton)

Thanks guys for the know how when needed. It's forums like these that provide help and support to do things outside of your comfort level.

There is nothing more rewarding in my opinion than a huge undertaking like this and actually fixing the problem.

Thats Great, Good job!!:pepper:

OP
OP
R

rvanbeers

Reaction score
AWESOME!! So glad you got this all done man! Way to go. Hopefully she'll give you many years more service now. I think your thread here will inspire many more people to tackle larger jobs.
I do have one question. Do you have a rough estimate of how much you wound up putting in to getting fixed versus what the shop wanted to do the job?

The Book said 19 hours at a rate of $110 plus parts etc. Head work of $650 so all in it would have been around $2700.

OP
OP
R

rvanbeers

Reaction score
SAGA Continues

So.... as the story goes.

Engine is great! But I have a very loud injector.......now everything is making sense. I think I may have found a contributing factor to this whole mishap.

When they put the rocker on, I hooked up the injector on the cylinder and it was pretty loud but I thought it was valve clatter. When I unhooked it, the sound went away.

I now have a very noticeable tick under load and acceleration that mirrors the injection pulse. It is intermittent when revving the engine in park and constant under heavy acceleration.

Now I have to find which one it is. Off to Princess Auto to get a stethoscope

I also bought a new injector at the start, swapped the dead hole to see if that was the problem and then swapped it back. I wonder where in my garage I put the sucker!

And...yes I'm pretty sure it is not an exhaust leak. :flamingdevil:

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the manifold on the side you did not take off. It's pretty common for them to leak. Mine does a tiny bit but not enough to worry me at the moment.

Sucks you have to pay duty fees. Rock auto has reman injectors for like 38usd and new for 42usd.
I'm not sure how amazon works in Canada but i just checked and they have reman for 35 and change.

OP
OP
R

rvanbeers

Reaction score
Im pretty sure it is the injector as it is appears to happen with heavy fuel pressure. I'll assume there is more pressure under load acceleration than idle rev. If it was exhaust one would think the noise would be there constantly notwithstanding the dampening effect of a warm engine. I;m pretty sure its a gummed up sticky injector. I did add some lucas fuel conditioner/injector cleaner so we'll see if that works at all

If it is the exhaust I may throw up because there is no way in Hello to get to all the studs and im not doing the head thing again

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha well I hope it's not the exhaust then because puke in the garage is just no good. A leaky manifold will most definitely be more noticeable under load though. More exhaust pressure and all. If you want to listen before you run out and buy the stethoscope, which I do most definitely recommend owning, just take a long screw driver and hold the metal tip against the injector. Hold the plastic hands end right against your ear. Works great to listen in a pinch or to listen to something loud where a stethoscope will blow you ears out lol.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Im pretty sure it is the injector as it is appears to happen with heavy fuel pressure. I'll assume there is more pressure under load acceleration than idle rev. If it was exhaust one would think the noise would be there constantly notwithstanding the dampening effect of a warm engine. I;m pretty sure its a gummed up sticky injector. I did add some lucas fuel conditioner/injector cleaner so we'll see if that works at all

If it is the exhaust I may throw up because there is no way in Hello to get to all the studs and im not doing the head thing again

Exhaust manifold leaks are louder under load (more pressure). May actually go away at idle. Good news there is it would not effect the operation of the motor but would be annoying.

I would think injector noise would be more consistant. The fuel pressure differential is minimal relatively. Lower pressure into a vacuum vs higher pressure into zero vacuum. Its designed so the fuel flow remains consistent with the different manifold pressures. A stethoscope would identify that the injector is much louder than the others if it is the issue.

Also make sure your spark plugs are all properly torqued down. Would not want to eject a spark plug. :(

I would recommend initially checking the spark plugs in that cylinder and immediately surrounding on occasion just to make sure that cylinder is ok and that the underlying cause does not still exist.

OP
OP
R

rvanbeers

Reaction score
She Coded

Get the paddles out....

Cylinder 7 Missfire and Running lean bank 2 - Running rough just like before. Fortunately it's the other side. I Disconnected Injector 7 and the vehicle ran pretty much the same.

So I may have forgotten to tighten the air intake to the throttle body (Oops).....

I'm letting the engine cool down (maybe not...let the fugger burn) and am going to pull the fuel rail. I found the original injector I bought so am going to swap it out. Here comes the gas splash because there is no relay.

Stay tuned

OP
OP
R

rvanbeers

Reaction score
Ever seen A grown man cry

So I swapped out the injector. No fuel pressure when I popped the rail (Hmm - read on) and fired it up. The loud tap/tick went away but then a whole s-load of problems hit the codes:

P0003 (regulator - low pressure)
c0707 - not sure
C3403

Went and picked up a new fuel filter and installed it. Took the rail off again (fuel pressure this time) and tapped the fuel regulator hooked everything up. Didn't seat it correctly (Fn Mess). Fixed that and went and got fuel because it was all over my garage.

Idles smooth in park. Idles rough in drive. Hesitates and then surges driving/accelerating but seems ok at a steady modest pace. Almost like it's flooded. If i step on it hesitates like it needs to digest the fuel.

What are the odds the tick/tap and performance issue now is from a fouled Fuel pressure regulator? Im almost ready to:hunter: give up. I should let the F'er ignite