Battery light on!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GIJOE0916

Reaction score
My battery light is on all the time. Thinking that it was a bad alternator and without testing the old one, I bought a new alternator. The battery is also new. I have checked the wires and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. The main issue is that the alternator does not seem to be charging the battery which leads to a constantly drained battery. What could be going on?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry about that, I put the wrong link in.

Do you have a dmm and are able to read wiring diagrams?

OP
OP
GIJOE0916

GIJOE0916

Reaction score
Yes, I do. What I am beginning to believe that it is causing this issue is the fusible link between the alternator and the fire wall.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the battery voltage first so you know what the source voltage is. With the engine running check voltage between the alt output stud and negative battery post. Charging voltage runs between 13.5 - 14.5 volts. Then voltage between alt output stud and positive battery post. This reading should be less than .5 volts.

Jerry 2

Reaction score
I like what stamp11127 just posted. I remembered, an alternator has to have an energized feed when ign. is turned on. If it does not have this so called trigger, it will not charge. With key on check for voltage at the alternator. If my memory is correct the wire is green w/ yellow stripe. If there is no power there , check for blown fuses or open circuited wire.

Joseph Tator

Reaction score
Bring it to ford service, yes it cost more then local repair shops but they have a better chance of fixing it right

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I do. What I am beginning to believe that it is causing this issue is the fusible link between the alternator and the fire wall.

No.
Check your grounds.

Infact, go clean and resurface any ground you see!

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely check your grounds. Especially if your engine bay is dirty. But they also wear with age, even if your bay is clean. So definitely clean them.

You can use a manual or diagram to locate the grounds, but they are pretty easy to spot.