best performance mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Other than a supercharger or a turbo (too mush $$$), are there any other mods to perform other than:

tuner
CAI
gears
shorty headers
cat back exhaust

??

I plan to do all of this sometime, I'm probably gonna stay away from exterior mods once I get my bigger tires and start working on performance mods. Reason being, I've been riding around with my friend in his 08 shelby gt500 and I want somethin a little faster... until I can afford a stang or a vette.. lol

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
everything you have posted except shorty headers.... only long tubes are really gonna give you performance gains.... otherwise all the others are great mods to begin with

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1.exhaust with rear cat delete

2.CAI

3. Headers (if you must not alot of bang for the buck)

4. Tuner ( brings everything together and will help support everything else you do)

what gears do you have? probly not worth doing unless your stepping up to 35's or bigger

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
everything you said but shortys. need to get long tubes. but again not much gain.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
NC Expy, what are you wanting from your truck? Are you wanting the high RPM power or are you wanting low end grunt? The modifications for these two things are completely different.

I went after low end grunt as I don't see the Expy as a "race" vehicle. For that, the modifications that I have done are the following:

-opened up the air box by cutting off the cone (Gotts mod) and installed a K&N filter. I dynoed my truck and gained 1 hp and 10 ft-lbs of torque. For the price, pretty decent.
-ported/polished the 90 degree elbow downstream of the throttle body. You want to specifically open up the inside radius where the EGR feeds back in.
-Ported/polished the entire intake along with the heads. I had the heads off for the spark plug hole repair (I repaired/modified all 8 of my plug holes, so, no more worry of that). You don't want to open up the valves and runners per se, but you want to remove the bumpy surface to allow the air to flow easier (diminishes the laminar boundary layer-you want to know more, I'll break out the scientific speak for you).
-convert over to electric fan setup. The gains from this are quoted all over the place, from nothing to 25 hp and 0 to 40 ft-lbs of torque. Whatever the gains are, the nice thing is that they occur at all engine RPMs, not just at the top like most mods give you. This one is probably the biggest one for low end gain. The realistic number that I will tell you is 8 hp and 10 ft-lbs of torque (assuming the fans are running, slightly more if the fans are off because they are not required).
-true dual exhaust running 2.5" pipes and a 70 series muffler. Why the 70 series muffler (most people want the noise)? Noise does nothing for low end power. Sure, a freer flowing muffler will be great for high RPM power, but how often are you at 4000+ RPM vice 2000 RPM? By keeping the little bit of back pressure on the engine, you get the low end torque, yet the exhaust is opened up enough to improve higher RPM power and improve mileage overall.. A variation of this system is running a single 3" pipe. Flow characteristics are essentially the same and may be slightly cheaper to get installed. As for tip size, go as big as you want as the tip does nothing for overall power unless you are necking it down.

If I was to make another modification to my truck, it would be long tube headers. Depending on what you want to believe, you can net up to 30 hp and 40 ft-lbs of torque at the lower RPM due to the scavaging effect of the long tubes.

As for the tuner, it is great as long as you are looking for higher RPM power. But, also keep in mind that a lot of the tuners will require you to run premium fuel for the power gains (or the gains will be much less on regular gas). Not saying you shouldn't, but this is a cumulative cost over time.

As for the gears, this is a mixed blessing. I have switched gears, but only because I was running much larger tires than stock and it was starting to have an effect on my truck. yes, gears are great for take-off (assuming you are going with a numerically higher gear), but at the same time, you are causing the motor to spin faster and for highway driving, you can make it so your mileage sucks the big one. What I will tell you to look at is your RPM when you are driving your normal speed on the highway. Is it in the range of 1800-2200 RPM? Keep in mind, most Expys are geared so at 70 mph, you are at 2150 RPM (3.73 gears on stock tires). So, going to even say a 4.10 gears, you are going to jump over that 2200 RPM threshold and you will see your mileage drop. If you want some help in selecting a "correct" gear (this is very interpretive), let me know, all I need to know is the gear that is in your truck now, how fast you like to travel, and the RPM at that speed.

Cold air intake, this is another thing that is subject for debate and this is what I have experienced through my time: regardless of getting a $40 E-bay special or a $400 top o the line kit, they all generate the same added power (give or take 1 hp). So, what you are paying for is looks and fit. I will let you pick from there. But, I have told you what I have.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear if your going headers, go long tube, but those dont show the best actual gain

DR3W

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you all mean delete the big cat near the transmission before the stock y-pipe????

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
theres 4 cats total, two up front and the two closer to the rear, were talking about the rear cats going bye bye

OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. The reason why I mentioned shorty headers instead of long tube headers is because I can't find a company that manufactures long tube headers for the Expedition. There a few that make them for the F-150, but I'm unsure if they would work with the Expedition. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, as far as the tuners go; I don't think I will be purchasing another Edge programmer just because I didn't notice a significant difference in performance, even after stepping up to "Level 3" and 93 octane.

Once I have a few hundred bucks lying around I will make a trip to Fastlane Motorsports here in NC and probably get it professionally tuned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PalosX