2019 Backfire issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting, found this as well, seems to be more than just a corner case. https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/exhaust-backfire.67699/

But annoyingly, these stupid valves are far more expensive than the other one of course. And it appears to be back ordered a lot of places, of course. I did find a non-oem part on amazon for like 20% of the price, but that always scares me. Guess I should try that troubleshooting technique in that super helpful video, thanks for sending that along.

Last edited:

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting, found this as well, seems to be more than just a corner case. https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/exhaust-backfire.67699/

But annoyingly, these stupid valves are far more expensive than the other one of course. And it appears to be back ordered a lot of places, of course. I did find a non-oem part on amazon for like 20% of the price, but that always scares me. Guess I should try that troubleshooting technique in that super helpful video, thanks for sending that along.

HeHe, yeah that is what happens when a vendor has massive failures on a part, they can't make replacements fast enough.

Rockauto Has Them For $70.00, but before you order one, why don't you confirm that is the part needed, Do the test and make sure you plug the tube that leads from the valve to the intake so you don't get a huge vacuum leak. See if the problem goes away, if it does, buy 1 of them from Rockauto and backorder one from Tasca parts to keep as a spare for next time it fails.
1681772414540.png

Looks like the people on the FordRaptorForum site don't seem very concerned. I guess they care less than you are about turning their plastic intake manifolds into tiny little pieces.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score

You need to install forscan. It will allow you to do active tests on EVAP system components. You can monitor valve operation and switch them on/off to troubleshoot the problem.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to install forscan. It will allow you to do active tests on EVAP system components. You can monitor valve operation and switch them on/off to troubleshoot the problem.
awesome, I have forscan already so I will see if i can try this. But i'm curious how an electronic test would tell me anything more, given that we all agree if the valve is stuck open, that it really should be throwing codes. I think that's why in the video they recommend the physical leak check. I grabbed a flashlight last night and looked around the throttle body area, couldn't find this valve, I wonder if it's under the engine cover. Thanks for the idea!

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found an F150 and Ford Van videos which show the location on the drivers side at the middle to rear rear of the engine under the cover. No matter the vehicle / model They all seem to be adjacent to the intake manifold so the cover needs to come off in any case.

This pic shows a new part sitting on top and to the left of the existing installed part. Also looks like a PITA to access the electrical connection, which faces the firewall, that is if the Expy has it in the same location.

The mechanical test starts with the engine cold and off. Unplug the electrical connection and the hose coming from the canister, put your finger over the now bare valve port and have someone start the engine. If you feel any suction the valve is mechanically stuck in the open position. Note that this is a "normally closed device - when unpowered it should be closed and then powered to open. If you feel suction the valve is bad.

If you are not feeling any suction, next test electrically. Shut off the engine, reconnect the control pigtail, finger back on bare port, restart engine, if feeling suction, the problem is electrical as the system should not open the purge valve until the engine is fully up to temperature.

1681920700549.png

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks @GlennSullivan, I'm going to go the route of using a vacuum gauge to test, regardless I've ordered a new valve anyways, seems they are likely to fail. And this is one of those things, i'm sure it would be covered by the warranty but then I have to deal with the pain of a dealership and waiting, and waiting, and no loaners, and etc. I'll use the gauge as I'm honestly too embarrassed to ask the wife to start the vehicle while I'm testing, I'm just embarrassed with the number of issues I've had over the years, large or small.