best replacement caliper -oem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s owned by Ford that post is untrue. Considering Fords website has a direct link to “FordMotorcraft.Com” and that Ford dealers sell Motorcraft parts stamped Ford Motor Company lol.

OK, did a little more research. Motorcraft is a division of Ford, but not necessarily Ford OEM manufactured parts. There are three brands under Motorcraft, only the first "Ford Original" are actually manufactured by Ford. Here is the Motorcraft branding page explaining the difference:

https://www.motorcraft.com/content/ford-motorcraft/us/en_us/home/our-brands.html

If you believe the visuals on the page, unless it is in a BLUE box, it is not manufactured by Ford.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, did a little more research. Motorcraft is a division of Ford, but not necessarily Ford OEM manufactured parts. There are three brands under Motorcraft, only the first "Ford Original" are actually manufactured by Ford. Here is the Motorcraft branding page explaining the difference:

https://www.motorcraft.com/content/ford-motorcraft/us/en_us/home/our-brands.html

If you believe the visuals on the page, unless it is in a BLUE box, it is not manufactured by Ford.

That’s not correct, Ford doesn’t make majority of the parts in their vehicles anyway they buy from distributors. Motorcraft parts are from the oem distributor and aren’t sold in FordParts boxes because it is available through both aftermarket and dealer sources. OmniCraft line isn’t for Ford vehicles it’s like Remy and for every brand, those parts are NOT sourced from OEM distributors like Motorcraft.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s not correct, Ford doesn’t make majority of the parts in their vehicles anyway they buy from distributors. Motorcraft parts are from the oem distributor and aren’t sold in FordParts boxes because it is available through both aftermarket and dealer sources. OmniCraft line isn’t for Ford vehicles it’s like Remy and for every brand, those parts are NOT sourced from OEM distributors like Motorcraft.
Yes, it's funny how people assume manufacturers make every part on the car. They make so little today. I think every Ford radiator I've ever seen even as far back as late 90s or 2000 was made by Visteon. I can buy the same Visteon radiator at AutoZone with the same sticker on the radiator Inside the Box.
It is a lot cheaper than buying Motorcraft or buying one from a Ford dealer and it has a lifetime warranty. This is why I say people need to do their research and talk to people and small garage owners to know the real truth and these things and what really works and doesn't work so they don't overpay for things because of brand names and boxes.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess we are back to the original question, are Motorcraft parts from the dealer worth the premium price or can aftermarket parts do just as well and save money. Back in the 70's, I would have said yes, but not any more. There are a lot of aftermarket parts that are just as good, or better, than the originals. Ever since this push to farm out parts to third party vendors started, you get a lot of stuff made in places without the quality standards we have come to expect. Even so, if it's too cheap, I would avoid it. The basic rule of you get what you pay for still applies. Over the last 5 years, I have gotten a lot of dealer parts that don't last as long as the original. Those of us that like working on cars and keeping them alive for 20-30 years begin to pick up on the change.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess we are back to the original question, are Motorcraft parts from the dealer worth the premium price or can aftermarket parts do just as well and save money. Back in the 70's, I would have said yes, but not any more. There are a lot of aftermarket parts that are just as good, or better, than the originals. Ever since this push to farm out parts to third party vendors started, you get a lot of stuff made in places without the quality standards we have come to expect. Even so, if it's too cheap, I would avoid it. The basic rule of you get what you pay for still applies. Over the last 5 years, I have gotten a lot of dealer parts that don't last as long as the original. Those of us that like working on cars and keeping them alive for 20-30 years begin to pick up on the change.
True on some levels but you just can't assume you get what you pay for and avoid the cheap things. By paying more and assuming you're getting better quality, you don't always.
This is exactly where research and especially Word of Mouth and forums exactly like this are your best resource.
The problem I have is people are so combative today that they won't even accept someone's description of their experiences in these areas as having actually happened.
People who have just an opinion on something with no real experience in the matter oh, like people who have never actually purchased a caliper or replace one themselves which there are many on these forums... Will try to negate other people's comments who have years of experience doing these things in person.
But, fortunately, a person can read through and ask questions and come up with their own better decision.
I'm into it right now with a guy over on the Lincoln forum because in his opinion it's bad advice to listen to me or anyone else who says the top thin metal alternator bracket that connects the one small 6 mm bolt to the alternator to the two small 6 mm bolts into the intake manifold, which was plastic on the original design. Doesn't need to be there.
I'm sure he only buys motorcraft oil and only puts Motorcraft Parts on his car and probably only takes it to the dealer. I doubt he's ever replace an alternator in his life but he opines repeatedly, that it wouldn't be there if the much more intelligent engineers at Ford didn't think it needed to be.

I simply made a comment to the original poster that the bracket was unnecessary anyways and most people don't install them or off in the end up in the trunk or at least not installed and it didn't make any difference one way or the other.
This is based on my experience of well over a thousand Fleet Town Cars and a good number of 5.4 + 6.8.
But, he dreamed up in his mind all sort of possible scenarios where he says the vibrations from the alternator and belt could cause the alternator mounting tabs on the bottom to crack or break off so therefore this extra support of this 1 6 mm bolt which is smaller than a drinking straw in diameter it's supposed to be needed.
He then goes on to make up a story that the vibrations are what caused the original plastic intake to crack which is absolutely false.
So he basically fear-mongers people into making them think they need the bracket or they might have it and alternator failure.
And by failure he only means it breaking the mounting ears off.
He has zero experience in any mounting ears breaking off alternators, because there is no experience this because basically doesn't happen.
But, as I said, people are combative and want to make up things when they don't have their own experience to have witnessed it for themselves.
I often get accused of being the same way or always having to have the last word. This is not the case. I don't have to have the last word but when I know I'm right, I'm right! I will continue to repeat my word over and over when someone tries to tell me it is not accurate.
That's not having the last word. That is standing up for what you know to be true.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, just to prove I'm not always saying to buy the cheapest part available. I will no longer buy any eBay or Amazon window regulator assemblies. I got burn twice. One was $36 and one was $42 and neither one lasted over 45 days and had been rolled up and down over 15 times.
Now this doesn't mean there aren't some good ones out there that are still cheap and doesn't mean they might not improve the quality and the future but I will never know because I'm not going to buy them. I will stick with my local 3 block away part store with Dorman for 79.95 and a lifetime warranty in stock.
Having said this, I really didn't read a lot of the reviews before I purchase these. Also, it's not really easy to find the reviews as most Ebay things really don't have them. Amazon is better for that but, the problem is people get a part, install it, it works fine, and within three days they review it. They give it great reviews because the price was awesome and the shipping was fast and everything else but they rarely go back when it fails in 3 weeks, 3 months or within a year to give a more accurate review.
So reviews on car parts I find are not very accurate. Not nearly as accurate as reviews on things like household appliances. However with appliances mostly reviews are only from people who had problems. Most people who have had a refrigerator for 10 or 15 years don't bother to go leave a review on how great it's been.
This is why these forums are our best resource.
When someone reads that I bought two of them and see the date on the post and they both failed within 45 days that is a good cautionary review.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Also, just to prove I'm not always saying to buy the cheapest part available. I will no longer buy any eBay or Amazon window regulator assemblies. I got burn twice. One was $36 and one was $42 and neither one lasted over 45 days and had been rolled up and down over 15 times.
Now this doesn't mean there aren't some good ones out there that are still cheap and doesn't mean they might not improve the quality and the future but I will never know because I'm not going to buy them. I will stick with my local 3 block away part store with Dorman for 79.95 and a lifetime warranty in stock.
Having said this, I really didn't read a lot of the reviews before I purchase these. Also, it's not really easy to find the reviews as most Ebay things really don't have them. Amazon is better for that but, the problem is people get a part, install it, it works fine, and within three days they review it. They give it great reviews because the price was awesome and the shipping was fast and everything else but they rarely go back when it fails in 3 weeks, 3 months or within a year to give a more accurate review.
So reviews on car parts I find are not very accurate. Not nearly as accurate as reviews on things like household appliances. However with appliances mostly reviews are only from people who had problems. Most people who have had a refrigerator for 10 or 15 years don't bother to go leave a review on how great it's been.
This is why these forums are our best resource.
When someone reads that I bought two of them and see the date on the post and they both failed within 45 days that is a good cautionary review.
Can we stick to short, to the point help and answers. I don't need someones life story.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can we stick to short, to the point help and answers. I don't need someones life story.
You can, but I wont. That was hardly a life story. That was only two or three little things.
Occasionally I have a short and succinct post but not normally. You are free to scroll on by my posts.
I'm here for my enjoyment and to talk about cars, car related things sometimes, life, the internet, social interaction, money, politics, the Earth and whatever comes up while we are all sitting around shooting the breeze talking amongst ourselves.
I do make certain that any new threads I create are in the appropriate category which is usually the off-topic or lounge.
The nature of forums and conversation and interaction is for things too frequently take different directions and the conversation.
This seems to bother some but it does create a greater possibility of learning more things or simply becoming aware add more things has more is covered in the conversation.
Maybe that's why YouTube videos are so popular for car repair. I despise watching a video for repair. But if you search for a common problem you will find a bunch of videos and usually those videos are just an only just about the repair so maybe that's better suited for some people.
Different Strokes for different folks.
I won't fault you for being short and strictly on topic even if it isn't colorful, enjoying and possibly boring.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey! I just did better. I just posted in the Thread about the automatic transmission oil change and answer the question but still managed to tell a little story that was quite relevant. It was quite short. Maybe I am coachable. Nah!
Probably not.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Speaking of life stories, when I started working on cars, we had a forge and had to make many of our own parts on site. My boss started his first shop on the site of an old iron mine, so he had to dig up dirt before he could begin a repair.
If it hadn't been for the 3D modeling software and 3D printer I inherited, it all would have been much harder.