Best Tire option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the Nitto Nt420s 's on my Escalade for summer tires with no problems. Always seemed solid, tread life was good for my 20-24k kms per year. I had them I think 3 years and still lots of tread left (using as a summer only tire). I read tons of reviews, one guy said they were great in snow and had a picture of his truck in about 1-1.5' of snow! They are 'technically' an all season, but don't do great on ice, although that day drove my FIL's Ram with BFG AT and it sucked too

View attachment 35387
I was speaking to the guys at KalTire and they were pushing hard for the Nittos. The 421Q, 420S and the one they pushed really hard for was the 420V. I read all sorts of mixed reviews. For some reason I'm just hung up on the Nitto brand...not sure why. Still leaning to the Proxes ST that Kal said would be equal to the 420V.

KJ-Idaho

Reaction score
I have nearly new Nitto Terra grapplers 265x70x17s that I drove on one winter in a toyo 4Runner. Excellent for offroad, and very reasonable on road.

pS. Please pm me if you would like mine. I can’t use them on my platinum’s 22” rims. Lol!!!

within reasonable distance of Boise, ID

Last edited:

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was speaking to the guys at KalTire and they were pushing hard for the Nittos. The 421Q, 420S and the one they pushed really hard for was the 420V. I read all sorts of mixed reviews. For some reason I'm just hung up on the Nitto brand...not sure why. Still leaning to the Proxes ST that Kal said would be equal to the 420V.
I'm glad you brought up the Nitto's, since the 420S and 420V are available on Amazon for $152 each. The reason I bring up Amazon is that I got so fed up with the quality of work on tire installation and balancing (having to make 2-3 trips to the tire store to get the balance correct) that I broke down and purchased my own tire machines. 20181108_145718.jpg

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I know I did a ton of research before I bought them, reading reviews from everywhere, and looking for the best price. Never felt unsafe towing the boat, a little slip till the AWD grabbed on the ramp when pulling out, but not enough to even think about.

20161001_143730.jpg

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm glad you brought up the Nitto's, since the 420S and 420V are available on Amazon for $152 each. The reason I bring up Amazon is that I got so fed up with the quality of work on tire installation and balancing (having to make 2-3 trips to the tire store to get the balance correct) that I broke down and purchased my own tire machines. View attachment 35433
If you want done right you do it yourself.
Nice setup!

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tires are also very region/weather type specific. No argument that snow tires are best in snow. But many of us are smart enough to not live where its icy and snows 3-4 months out of the yr lol - kidding aside...

In my California use case solid quality brand name All Seasons work best. I put a set of those BFG Advantage T/A Sports on my Subaru 45,000 miles ago and trust me 2 Subarus and 20 yrs I tried em all. These BFGs were awesome. So I put them on my heavy Sequoia and put 10,000 miles on them before I sold it to my dad. Again super impressed with those BFG Advantage Sports. No hit to mileage, no impact to ride quality. Great durability, good mud and Snow performance, good road performance. And great wear.

Michelin and BFG come out of the same manufacturing plant. Both brands offer some of the best tires available. Especially for bigger heavier vehicles.

I’ve tried pretty much all the other stuff Continentals were always mehh and consistently ended up with out of round tires and marginal life. The worst tires I ran on the Sequoia were those geolanders I had so many leaky tires and flats they were horrible.

Just put a set of these XL's on my Expy for pullin my camper.

New Tires.jpg

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious how they tow? I am looking to replace mine and I tow a TT coming in at #7500 max.

Im not sure yet. They have great reviews, but I wont tow my camper for any distance until July 4th. ~7k from the Chicago area to Colorado. I wlll do a follow up when we get back. I anticipate no issues based on what I have read....

Johhn14

Reaction score
I had 1 OEM go already (nail), and have a 2nd one leaking now. Very low miles given COVID and I could probably get away with just 1, but I'm debating whether it's time to just rip the bandaid and get 4 new ones of something better.

For those of you getting the Defender, are you getting 285/45R22 110H? I'm a rookie with load and speed ratings but I'm getting mixed signals as to whether this is appropriate or not.

I'm debating those Defenders or Continental Cross Contacts.

My driving is most typically highway or local. I'll drive on the beach a couple times a year. I live in the Boston area so snow is very normal and need something decent.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had 1 OEM go already (nail), and have a 2nd one leaking now. Very low miles given COVID and I could probably get away with just 1, but I'm debating whether it's time to just rip the bandaid and get 4 new ones of something better.

For those of you getting the Defender, are you getting 285/45R22 110H? I'm a rookie with load and speed ratings but I'm getting mixed signals as to whether this is appropriate or not.

I'm debating those Defenders or Continental Cross Contacts.

My driving is most typically highway or local. I'll drive on the beach a couple times a year. I live in the Boston area so snow is very normal and need something decent.

seems there is a regular one and a premier version. Ask the shop for the specs or compare on tire rack.