Best Tire option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My experience, in my area, is that with 4wd and all terrain tires I am fine for the conditions I experience. However, having driven with dedicated snow tires, they are very worth it if you see a lot of ICE. We don't see a lot of ice in utah, it will get snow packed and icy but not like ICE I have experienced in other parts of the country. I rarely feel my mud tires and 4wd don't get the job done just fine where I am.

Plati

Reaction score
Wow thanks. Did not know. I might have once known and forgotten since I've tuned into my particular needs and tuned the big picture out! Appreciate the reset.

I guess tires are like sneakers in that there are generalized models and very specific purpose oriented models

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess tires are like sneakers in that there are generalized models and very specific purpose oriented models

Very true! Studded snow tires are very specific purpose oriented. I used to run studded tires, but they are so noisy. They also tend to fling gravel on tarred and chipped roads since the studs pop the stone chips loose and fling them at your vehicle. They also stop poorly on wet pavement since the studs tend to slide (metal on wet asphalt).

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just installed these. I haven’t had them in snow yet. I drove my F150, also with new tires instead during our most recent snow storm.

DE6645F1-1D96-4707-910D-6A582B61D02D.jpeg

79864D5C-FDB0-4E5C-B186-1F8AC852413F.jpeg

9EAF5956-BAF5-454C-BB9A-2594FD4A287A.jpeg

5012581E-5F0A-4B12-896D-3EDC5D598347.jpeg

JS2295

Reaction score
Are those the hybrid tires that have half winter tread and half regular tread? Would be curious on the tread wear rating since most winter tires are soft enough that they don't have a tread wear rating.
Sorta, the WRG3s had two variants. One with the hybrid(asymmetric) setup like you mentioned and the other was directional(suv tire). They are winter tires adapted for all season use. They are considered an all-weather tire. Tread wear is great. My mother's Escape has 40k on a set of wrg3. Planning to replace with the new wrg4. Also researching Michelin crossclimate+ suv.

Oklahoma Jim

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which Continentals are those? I had Conti's on a BMW and liked them a lot. They were quiet and long wearing.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Full winter conditions (lots of snow and ice) this week in Calgary, and yesterday the dealer had tires "at cost" so I put on Michelin LTX AT2 LT275/65R18 (load range E) tires. I've been looking to get these on to help with towing, and I had the P version on my previous Expy and was very impressed with the winter performance. I have to say they are night and day better than the Primacy that the Expy came with in these conditions! I can't tell yet if the ride has changed (which probably means it isn't a serious difference).

They did put them at 40psi ("because they are LT tires") - is that necessary? Could I run them at the door sticker pressure without issue?

Plati

Reaction score
Full winter conditions (lots of snow and ice) this week in Calgary, and yesterday the dealer had tires "at cost" so I put on Michelin LTX AT2 LT275/65R18 (load range E) tires. I've been looking to get these on to help with towing, and I had the P version on my previous Expy and was very impressed with the winter performance. I have to say they are night and day better than the Primacy that the Expy came with in these conditions! I can't tell yet if the ride has changed (which probably means it isn't a serious difference).

They did put them at 40psi ("because they are LT tires") - is that necessary? Could I run them at the door sticker pressure without issue?
I did a lot of research on this (lots of posts on this Forum) when I got my first light truck (LT) tires. Absolutely advised to run higher pressure. I run 45 in my Kumho Road Venture AT51's and my Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. There are engineering tables to show you what pressure to run or you can do various "tire patch to the road" methods to show you the right pressure.