Bilsteins and spring seats...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Thunderbirdsport

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finally have all the parts to start doing the Bilstein/2.5/1.5 spacer job. Also got in a set of 24 lug nuts that are anodized black to match the truck wheels that are going to go on after the shocks/spacers are done.

Then an alignment.

As a consolation price, my '06 Exploder got some LED headlights and foglight, in addition to new headlight housings. Much better than the stock stuff...had already polished the headlight lenses a couple times.

I'll take a before pic tomorrow before I throw the Expy back in the shop and start tearing it apart. Pretty excited about it, actually. Well, not the work, just the results..

Once the suspension is done I'm going to get a factory subwoofer box and put it in, run it's own amp and power. Mine didn't have the factory sub, and I would like to add a little bass but not take up any room with a box, plus the work of keeping it secured, the cabling to it, etc. Something clean, neat, and not taking up any space.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finally have all the parts to start doing the Bilstein/2.5/1.5 spacer job. Also got in a set of 24 lug nuts that are anodized black to match the truck wheels that are going to go on after the shocks/spacers are done.

Then an alignment.

As a consolation price, my '06 Exploder got some LED headlights and foglight, in addition to new headlight housings. Much better than the stock stuff...had already polished the headlight lenses a couple times.

I'll take a before pic tomorrow before I throw the Expy back in the shop and start tearing it apart. Pretty excited about it, actually. Well, not the work, just the results..

Once the suspension is done I'm going to get a factory subwoofer box and put it in, run it's own amp and power. Mine didn't have the factory sub, and I would like to add a little bass but not take up any room with a box, plus the work of keeping it secured, the cabling to it, etc. Something clean, neat, and not taking up any space.

What’d you do for a spring compressor? I keep hearing the ones that auto part stores offer are woefully insufficient. I was looking at these on amazon: Shankly Spring Compressor Tool (2 Pieces) - Heavy Duty Build, Ultra Rugged Coil Spring Compressor, Strong and Durable Spring Compressor with Safety Guard and Carrying Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DQJG24/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_gYq-FbYG08RCF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

any opinion or insight?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What’d you do for a spring compressor? I keep hearing the ones that auto part stores offer are woefully insufficient. I was looking at these on amazon: Shankly Spring Compressor Tool (2 Pieces) - Heavy Duty Build, Ultra Rugged Coil Spring Compressor, Strong and Durable Spring Compressor with Safety Guard and Carrying Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DQJG24/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_gYq-FbYG08RCF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

any opinion or insight?
Some are having success with auto store loaners and some aren't. You can't go by hype on anything nowadays so I would just try a few parts stores. I haven't don't mine yet but I guess the springs are pretty stiff. I wouldn't buy one, have it not work, and then try to ship it back as used.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some are having success with auto store loaners and some aren't. You can't go by hype on anything nowadays so I would just try a few parts stores. I haven't don't mine yet but I guess the springs are pretty stiff. I wouldn't buy one, have it not work, and then try to ship it back as used.

If it doesn’t do the job I have no problem sending it back. “Free returns”.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The auto parts store compressor was barley enough for the rear springs. They were no where near enough for the fronts.
The spring diameter was too large so the locks didn't work, and they didn't fully seat in the compressor. I tried it anyways, the the threaded rods started to bend before it loosened even a little.

I took the struts to the local 4x4 shop and they swapped them out in an hour for $60. They had a heavy duty wall mounted hydraulic strut compressor.

20201122_131946.jpg

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The auto parts store compressor was barley enough for the rear springs. They were no where near enough for the fronts.
The spring diameter was too large so the locks didn't work, and they didn't fully seat in the compressor. I tried it anyways, the the threaded rods started to bend before it loosened even a little.

I took the struts to the local 4x4 shop and they swapped them out in an hour for $60. They had a heavy duty wall mounted hydraulic strut compressor.

View attachment 39671

That ain’t bad!