Blend door "clicking" still after changing acturator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What brand of actuator did you use ? It's possible it was defective anyway. If you feel that the blend door is operating smoothly by hand but the actuator clicks like it's skipping that's what I would look at. Make sure to use Motorcraft actuators.

OP
OP
W

Walt460

Reaction score
What brand of actuator did you use ? It's possible it was defective anyway. If you feel that the blend door is operating smoothly by hand but the actuator clicks like it's skipping that's what I would look at. Make sure to use Motorcraft actuators.
Yes it is a motorcraft actuator and yes we bench tested it and it worked great.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The clicking noise is the gear teeth slipping on the motor gear,..teeth strip and there is the noise. Ford has a bad design all these years with these motors. When the ignition is turned on, the motors try to sync. While doing this if the blend door temp control is all the way to the stops either hot or cold, the motor forces the door in the direction of the temp control. What seems to help prevent the issues is to not turn the temp control all the way. On the older fords just run the control at the edge of the blue or red range. In the newer models like my 16, I just back the temp knob back off the stop one click. Maybe this helps , maybe it won't, your milage may vary

CAKD07

Reaction score
Have to agree with lbv150. I had issues with my '05 in the front and rear and both were replaced. My wife's '12 Escape has an issue and I was told it has four (4) (tho not confirmed) to deal with and it has the problem. They are made from cheap plastic parts and don't last forever. lbv150 I'm going to try your solution (with the temp control) to see if solves her problem in the Escape. BTW I have a '16 Expy now and so far so good.

ripnrik

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me when I thought I needed to replaced mine. Solution was a calibration procedure that I found "somewhere" on this forum. From that post:

Now I had something that i did not have before - the dreaded click click click when rotating the knob all the way to cold - However, realized that the door was now out of calibration, so I performed the calibration process: remove the climate control fuze from the fuze box in the passenger leg area - it was number 15 in mine - for at least a minute - while the ignition was off. Replace the fuze and turn the ignition to on (no need to start the car) . I could hear the actuator rotating stop to stop and calibrating the proper position. Took about 30 seconds. No more click click click. Cancelled my order for a new actuator, and will ride with the "no fix" until it happens again.

Worth a try

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, my lower blend door under the dash has been clicking for ages and I haven't had the desire to tackle the job. Everything seemed to continue working - or so I thought. After replacing my tstat and bleeding the air out of the system the other day I learned exactly what happens when that actuator fails. I now have heat and AC. 90F is heat and the rest is AC. There is no in between anymore. Now I know why the service manual specifies 90F when bleeding the cooling system. :D

Brons2

Reaction score
The lower front one is a pain in the (expletive) ****. I regret doing this job with my Navigator. It was worse than reparing the transmission bulkhead plastic sleeve (where the PCM plugs into the transmission) and that took 5+ on my back on the garage floor, along with a run to the Ford dealer for a new transmission pan gasket and a run to Harbor Freight to buy some wobble extensions.

Actually, I enjoyed fixing the transmission, to tell you the truth, it was pretty straightforward, just time consuming. My wife wasn't happy though that I spent all day in the garage. But it is what it is ;)

FordMafia

Reaction score

lbv150 has a decent workaround to the issue, but it's not a true fix. It just bothers me that we spend all this time and money on these things for them to not work as they should. And I'm not knocking you​

lbv150, I just want to properly solve the issue and use my car as I want.​

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni