Brake light switch issues..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Porchia

Reaction score
Hello, was looking for some advice..
I have a 2007 Eddie Bauer with the following issues. Brake interlock preventing moving shifter out of park, no brake lights, and remote start does not shut truck off when you step on brake with key off. I suspected the brake light switch, so bought a new one at advanced auto and replaced it. Same issues. Tested new switch for continuity between pin 1 and 4, moved plunger in and out, nothing. Thought new switch must be bad, got one from Ford, same issues, test on switch for continuity, same result, nothing. When I jump the connector from 1 to 4, brake lights work. Have power to switch from fuse. Like to add, when I test the contacts in brake switch that are normally closed (pins 2 to 3), they never open when moving plunger. I now have three switches, all test the same, not sure what I’m missing here. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I'll offer this and it's far from an answer but may provide a clue. I never replaced an Expedition brake light switch, but I did on Crown Victorias. Their switch "takes a set" the first time it's operated. You install it and the brake petal sets it. After that, it operates within the parameters of the brake petal motion. If you operate it by hand before installing it, you'll set it wrong and it won't work when installed.

Have you checked your fuse that powers this circuit?

https://fuse-box.info/ford/ford-expedition-u324-2007-2014-fuses-and-relay

Check #5 under the right kick panel and #31 under the hood for starters. Then check your supply at the switch with a test light.

OP
OP
M

Michael Porchia

Reaction score
I checked31, fuse is good, I have power right to the switch, but the power doesn’t leave the switch. When I bypass the switch at the plug, brake lights work. I will check #5 fuse later.

OP
OP
M

Michael Porchia

Reaction score
102BDE02-6047-4BDD-89CA-1041596F24C4.jpeg Ok, update to switch issue to anybody interested. Apparently when you twist the switch to remove it, it moves two little black tabs that disengage the plunger on switch. When you reinstall switch, and twist it to lock it in (if done properly) it will twist tabs the opposite way, and re engage the plunger. Raining/snowing here, so won’t install until tommorow, but continuity checks out as it should now. Apparently if not installed properly, it won’t work, nor will it work if not installed on pedal. Thanks all.

tim wilson

Reaction score
hey michael. just curious if you ever got brake lights?? i have the same issue. i can get power to 3 of the 4 wires but not the 4th one. replaced the switch but still nothing. can you give me some insite lol