Brake Pad Choices ~ what to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Capri331

Reaction score
Hi guys & gals,

I am about ready to do the brakes on my wife's Expy. I had planned on using Bendix Titanium II's front and rear with new rotors but I do have another option.

I have been installing many "Friction Master" by Morse Ceramic pads from Advance Auto Parts.

I was thinking of installing theses in the rear.

Question is?:

Titanium II's front and rear?

Titanium II's Front and Ceramic in the rear?

Ceramic on all 4 corners?

What are you all using for reliable braking systems?

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with any number of name-brand aftermarket pads.

I'm partial to Hawk HPS and don't really care for ceramics (I guess I like brake dust) but that's just my opinion.

OP
OP
C

Capri331

Reaction score
It's not the "brand" I am concerned about because I am confident that either brand is decent. I want good reliable braking when I am towing the snowmobiles and possibly in the future an open car trailer with a mustang bracket car. The car trailer will have brakes of it's own, the 2 place sled trailer doesn't. It however weighs about 1500# loaded.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you aren't concerned with brake dust then I highly recommend Hawk HPS. I run them at all 4 corners.

It tow 7,000 lbs and drive around too fast at any rate, and these pads provide good stopping power.

I also run Brembo plain rotors, bought at the Tire Rack for about $80 each for the fronts...can't remember what I paid for the rears.

This combo brakes as well as anything I've had on the truck, including some custom AP cross-drilled front rotors that cost a fortune.

OP
OP
C

Capri331

Reaction score
Thanks

It seems a bit more than I need. Basically I have decided to run the Bendix pads unless someone had some positive things to report about running ceramic pads (other than low dust).

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're gonna stay with the stock-type of rotors, DO NOT use ceramics. Ceramics tend to focus more heat INWARD than regular metal-matrix pads, causing warpage very quickly. I got rooky-doo'd by a local shop saying that "they recommend" the ceramics for a big truck. A bunch of crap.
Trust me...I've spent lots of time and money fixing what the "pros" did to my wife's truck.

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by pronstar
If you aren't concerned with brake dust then I highly recommend Hawk HPS. I run them at all 4 corners.

It tow 7,000 lbs and drive around too fast at any rate, and these pads provide good stopping power.

I also run Brembo plain rotors, bought at the Tire Rack for about $80 each for the fronts...can't remember what I paid for the rears.

This combo brakes as well as anything I've had on the truck, including some custom AP cross-drilled front rotors that cost a fortune.

I'm glad you mentioned the Brembo rotors. I didn't know I could get those for my Expy. I've had excellent results from Brembo brake products on my motorcycles.

I'm curious why you choose the Hawk HPS pads over the Hawk LTS truck/SUV pads?

It seems like the LTS pads are a better choice for towing.

I'm thinking to upgrade a bit when it comes time to do the brakes. The OEM stuff as been OK but the front rotors have developed a bit of a warp.

The trailer (~2,300lbs ) I tow doesn't have brakes so the truck brakes do all the work.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by danketchpel

I'm curious why you choose the Hawk HPS pads over the Hawk LTS truck/SUV pads?

It seems like the LTS pads are a better choice for towing.

I'm thinking to upgrade a bit when it comes time to do the brakes. The OEM stuff as been OK but the front rotors have developed a bit of a warp.

The trailer (~2,300lbs ) I tow doesn't have brakes so the truck brakes do all the work.

I've gotten good brake advice from these guys:
http://www.brakeco.com/
...they used to be local to me, and are a bunch of ex-racers.

Several years ago, they carried Hawk pads, and they recommended the HPS because it's a softer pad compound, and a little easier on the rotors. They said that performance was similar for each. (They no longer carry Hawk pads). All of this is what they told me, so I don't have any scientific evidence.

But really, I've been happy with the HPS so I just stuck with them. If you go with the LTS let me know what your impressions are. Hawk makes quality product so I'm sure they'll be great.

Whatever rotor/pad you go with, make sure you bed the pads to the rotors.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85

http://www.raceshopper.com/tech.shtml

This helps lay-down an even transfer layer of new pad material. Often, pad judder is caused by an uneven transfer layer, not necessarily excessive runout (warping).

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

The pad bedding/break-in articles were very interesting reading.

I may call Hawk to see what they have to say when I get ready to do the brakes.

Hopefully I'll get another 20K miles or so out of the stock stuff.

My next purchase will have to be tires. I can't complain too much, I've gotten 70K miles out of the OEM Contis. I'll probably go with Michelins for the next set.