brake pad recomendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric Mowrer

Reaction score
@Eric Mowrer did you lube the pins or anything when you replaced the pads and rotors?

Yes. I check the pins for lube and free movement. The gold pads come with new brake retaining clips.

Takes 45 minutes.
6 lug bolts
2 caliper bolts
2 caliper carrier bolts (need 24” breaker bar)

Takes longer to get out the tools, put them away, and clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Mowrer

Reaction score
I had a set of those. Hated them. Never felt confident in the brakes.

I’ve tried many different brands in the 30 years that I’ve been turning wrenches and didn’t notice a difference. I used to be Wagner only. Towed my 21” center console to the keys every year 700 miles, no problem. No warping, no excessive dust, even stops the 35s easy.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm running Akebono ProACT ceramic pads in back and front. Quiet, smooth, low dust and no complaints about stopping power either.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve tried many different brands in the 30 years that I’ve been turning wrenches and didn’t notice a difference. I used to be Wagner only. Towed my 21” center console to the keys every year 700 miles, no problem. No warping, no excessive dust, even stops the 35s easy.

I used to Autox and road race. I know the difference good brakes can make. House brand brake pads are great to install when you’re flipping a car for profit. I won’t use them on any car I plan to actually own.

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Search the forum. There is a recent post on a brake pad "break-in" procedure. It involves a series of hard brake applications to heat up the pads (tempers?). Seems to work. And the post has a decent write on why its generally a lie when you're told your discs are warped.

Apparently, this procedure even cures the pulsating brake pedal, which is diagnosed as warped rotors.
Thanks Bobmbx, I saw that article and tried the braking maneuver that it suggested and it did improve the brakes (less pulsing) but did not cure it, tried it a few times but no improvement after the first time so changed the disks and they are now lovely and smooth. I am breaking the new rotors in gently for a few days and will then try the suggested procedure to finish bedding them in.. I am very sure the disks where warped, but after 12 years and 160K miles I can't complain!! It was suggested that the biggest cause of warped rotors is not correctly torquing the wheel lug nuts up (the wheel lug nuts hold both the wheel and the rotors in place) I can see that it might cause an issue, but I have always used a torque wrench and tightened the lug nuts in a star pattern!!

Looks like the ceramic pads get a reasonable review just be aware that they need a second or too to heat up and become effective when braking!!

Cheers Gary