brake pad recomendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay peeps, my brakes started pulsing when braking, my local Ford dealer said the rotors needed to be skimmed, they skimmed them and all was well for a few weeks, then they started pulsing again. I have a 2008 EL Limited with 160K miles and the rotors are original. I decided to just buy a set of Bosch Quietcast rotors and change them, its only been a few days, but the brakes are nice and smooth. Whilst changing the rotors I noticed the brake pads are getting low probably need to be changed in the next 10K miles, so I wanted to ask what people recommend? I love this car and the brakes work great so no problem to go with the FORD pads, but am happy to try something else!!

Any suggestions?

Gary

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I use Motorcraft, but had good results with Hawk ceramic. Don't know if they are available for the Expeditions, but they solved big problems on my Excursion.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve never liked ceramics. Sure they don’t dust much, but that first brake application after miles of highway cruising have never felt great. Sorta felt like I was not going to stop in time.

I just ordered Hawk LTS for my Expedition. I had run some EBC Orangestuff and Yellowstuff previously, great pads but they wore out quickly. I had the Hawk LTS prior to the EBCs and liked them as well- and they lasted longer.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The Motorcrafts are ceramic, and while they stop steady and true, they do give the feeling of a long stopping distance when cold. A bit un-nerving, but better than what I've had with lots of the auto part store junk.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just took delivery on a set of powerstop rotors and pads for the front axle from rockauto. Went with the stock replacement level. Haven't got them installed yet, will be curious to see how they do.

$121.21 delivered, including 5% discount.

Eric Mowrer

Reaction score
I just changed my Autozone Duralast Gold ceramic pads with 90k+ miles. Installed them with Duralast rotors. Been great for 4 years. You can pick up a set of rotors and pads right now with their sale for $154.

Lifetime Warranty on pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay peeps, my brakes started pulsing when braking, my local Ford dealer said the rotors needed to be skimmed, they skimmed them and all was well for a few weeks, then they started pulsing again. I have a 2008 EL Limited with 160K miles and the rotors are original. I decided to just buy a set of Bosch Quietcast rotors and change them, its only been a few days, but the brakes are nice and smooth. Whilst changing the rotors I noticed the brake pads are getting low probably need to be changed in the next 10K miles, so I wanted to ask what people recommend? I love this car and the brakes work great so no problem to go with the FORD pads, but am happy to try something else!!

Any suggestions?

Gary
Search the forum. There is a recent post on a brake pad "break-in" procedure. It involves a series of hard brake applications to heat up the pads (tempers?). Seems to work. And the post has a decent write on why its generally a lie when you're told your discs are warped.

Apparently, this procedure even cures the pulsating brake pedal, which is diagnosed as warped rotors.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just changed my Autozone Duralast Gold ceramic pads with 90k+ miles. Installed them with Duralast rotors. Been great for 4 years. You can pick up a set of rotors and pads right now with their sale for $154.

Lifetime Warranty on pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a set of those. Hated them. Never felt confident in the brakes.