Brake pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
It was at the local Ford dealership. I don't distrust them, yet.

I'm not opposed to checking it myself but I'll have to read up on it. What tool do you use to check the thickness?
Measure the thickness of the wear material, that's fastened to the metal backing plate.
A ruler would work.

https://oards.com/minimum-and-recommended-brake-pad-thickness/

Its just seems fishy is all, that's way to early for them to be worn out.
But you don't say if its a brand new Expy with 14K miles or ???

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just eyeball it or go look at a new set or pictures of a new set. For the ones with wear indicators and chirpers you can see how much more pad past the chirper level there is. They can ride on the wear indicators for several months before they wear down through and you risk a pad breaking off for backing plate hitting rotor.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I purchased the vehicle new in September last year, all 14k miles are my doing. I'll check the pads out in a couple days (snowing currently).

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was always told that a general rule of thumb when checking the pads was to make sure the pad material was thicker than the steel backing plate. Its always worked for me.

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk