Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From my understanding if you do towing you also do not want to use slotted or drilled as it reduces the surface area and will make it hotter. Ceramics are nice for the minimalization of break dust, but will chew your rotors up more.

That doesn't make sense since the point of having drilled rotors is to keep things cooler and it wouldn't make sense for them to produce more heat

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense since the point of having drilled rotors is to keep things cooler and it wouldn't make sense for them to produce more heat

The point is also to save weight. If you are doing towing and are having to use the breaks while towing a load, you are eliminating a portion of surface area for the heat to dissipate to. For normal use I do not think you would have any problem.

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score

In fact here is a quote I found:

From Wilwood's website:

Q: Why are some rotors drilled or slotted?
A: Rotors are drilled to reduce rotating weight, an issue near and dear to racers searching for ways to minimize unsprung weight. Drilling diminishes a rotor's durability and cooling capacity.

Slots or grooves in rotor faces are partly a carryover from the days of asbestos pads. Asbestos and other organic pads were prone to "glazing" and the slots tended to help "scrape or de-glaze" them. Drilling and slotting rotors has become popular in street applications for their pure aesthetic value. Wilwood has a large selection of drilled and slotted rotors for a wide range of applications.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Braking causes friction which in turn causes heat. Heat is the enemy of the entire brake system. Cross drilled rotors were designed to allow air to flow and
heat to escape. Brake pads actually lift off the rotors under extreme condition (read extreme heat). This is called brake fade. These rotors are far superior than your stock rotors offering you a shorter stopping distance, resistance to brake fade, lower brake temperatures. Now add ceramic pads to the set up.Ceramics are very resistant to heat. The heat produced by braking is at this point absorbed mainly by the rotors. The best option to cool these rotors is to use the cross drilled type due to their ability to cool quicker. Heavy braking with ceramic pads and standard rotors will lead to warped rotors.

Last edited:

Bart Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
new brakes

so i'm finally going to change my brakes.... lets just say they are bad.... but my question is anyone ever use "ebay brakes" I was looking into these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0339659374&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

anyone ever use these or they just a waste? my thought is cross drilled slotted better for my truck due to the 37s but I dont know if I wanna try these or just go to napa or autozone and just buy theres..... any suggestions would be helpful

Did you ever get these brakes and how are they?

OP
OP
walnuts4x4

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did end up buying these on ebay... figured they are cheap 209 for all 4 and the rate my expy eats brake pads with 37s I couldn't go wrong if they do suck I'll be replacing them in a year or so.... lol but they have been on my truck for exactly a week and been driven roughly 200 miles almost entire tank of gas lol.... and I love them they seem to be stopping my truck better than ever but then again my old ones were almost metal to metal

Bart Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sloted Brakes

<p>Ok Great! If you dont mind I'll ask again in another week or so just yo see how you feel about them then. I heard that they were noisy , and I will like to know how much dust they make, Thanks again! :rolleyes:</p>

Last edited:
OP
OP
walnuts4x4

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well my rims look like crap but northern NY winters will do that.... spring I'll be ordering new ones.... changing the look of truck.... but the pads that came with mine are ceramic and if I remember correctly less dust than semi-metallic (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but they seem to be quiet I even drove with windows down today at a brisk 27 deg (heat wave up here) and they are really quiet but then again these Procomps Exteme ATs aren't that quiet or the true duals... but I like the brakes even locked em up coming home just to see how they handle the 37's at 55mph had zero problems

Last edited:

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmmmmm walnuts, you trying to flat spot the tires so i can buy them to for off road, lol locking em up arent you showing on those this summer? and yes im patiantly waiting,, click, click click is it summer yet? oh ya thats right we live in upstate ny, see that around august

OP
OP
walnuts4x4

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i was curious on how this thing stopped with new brakes so the idiot NON-NYers that cant drive or see my truck coming down the road pull out in front of me and assume this thing stops like their little cars... dont even get me started about how no one seems to know how to drive in snow.... o well guess thats why I like my 10K HIDs that are perfectly in their mirrors after they cut off.... but yes rims are coming soon just waiting for last W2s to do taxes then buying rims.... and all new toys going on truck.... (rims, goodmark steel roll pan, line of fire n ice, and might change exhaust) but as u said up here we got 3 seasons -almost winter-winter-almost done with winter.... lol

just remember "97% of people say O crap when they drive on ice... the other 3% from NNY say hold my beer watch this"!!!!

Last edited: