Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so i'm finally going to change my brakes.... lets just say they are bad.... but my question is anyone ever use "ebay brakes" I was looking into these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0339659374&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

anyone ever use these or they just a waste? my thought is cross drilled slotted better for my truck due to the 37s but I dont know if I wanna try these or just go to napa or autozone and just buy theres..... any suggestions would be helpful

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I put rotors and pads all the way around on my old man's grand cherokee and my brother's sport trac, both came from ebay suppliers and both worked fantastic. No warping, and no problems on the install. (plus, you can't beat the price)

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use cross drilled as they can crack. If anything, get slotted (though these eat pads faster), or just stay with blanks.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
They will only crack if the holes aren't radiused (chamfered).

Pretty much every manufacturer has gotten wise to this small detail.

The info that I gathered is that slots are really more of a racing thing, since they do tend to reduce pad life. I ordered all the rotors drilled only. Also the zinc coating makes a big difference, no more rust on the hats or cooling fins.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree that drilled rotors are better then slotted for non-racing applications. I have drilled rotors and have had to do some emergency stops with them and they seem to perform well with no cracking. Go with ceramic pads, you won't ever have to replace them and they greatly reduce brake dust. My ceramic pads still looked new after 60,000 miles but I had to replace them when I got new rotors. Cheaper pads aren't going to last as long or perform as well, so make sure you get a good reliable brand like hawk.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought ceramics didn't stop as well as semi-matallics. At least that's what most of the manufacterers say about them, as well as what I've read on other forums. They're good if you have nice wheels, as they don't dust as much.

OP
OP
walnuts4x4

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so if I got it right.... go with drilled not slotted rotors... I'm thinking they might help since yes I dont race but the added weight of 37s I'm trying something before having to go to a set of 20" rims and upgraded brakes... I wish but not that rich yet lol..... but if I'm wrong please correct me I'm gonna order in next week or two.... thanks for the input everyone

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always thought ceramics didn't stop as well as semi-matallics. At least that's what most of the manufacterers say about them, as well as what I've read on other forums. They're good if you have nice wheels, as they don't dust as much.

You're right semi-metallics are slightly better then ceramic for stopping power, but they make make more dust, more noise, and don't last as long as ceramics. Ceramics still have better stopping power then normal OEM brakes and have the least brake dust out of any of the choices. Go with semi-metallic if you do heavy towing.

Walnuts.. yes go with the drilled (or plain if you're on a budget).. slotted are for doing repeated laps on oval race tracks which is pretty uncommon for an expedition.

Last edited:

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ebay has good deals, but also check out buybrakes.com where you can use the coupon code 08010 to get $10 off and they have free shipping on orders over $100.

MaverikDS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From my understanding if you do towing you also do not want to use slotted or drilled as it reduces the surface area and will make it hotter. Ceramics are nice for the minimalization of break dust, but will chew your rotors up more.