Brand new, and a question about jump starters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ganchan

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a first-time owner of a 2000 (4x2) Eddie Bauer 5.4L Expedition. This car has been mostly refurbished by a trusted mechanic, but it's also 17 years old, so.... I should probably think about carrying a jump starter for it. Would a unit with 500 starting amps/1000 peak amps have the necessary power to get me going again?

Thanks!

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you having problems with your battery not staying charged or problems just starting the motor?

Not heard of one person needing to have a jumper in a Expedition all the time.

OP
OP
G

ganchan

Reaction score
I thought I should be prepared, as the Boy Scouts say. If it's not a thing anybody normally does, then I'll just focus on the basic necessities instead. (It's been a while since I even owned a car, so I need to stock up on all kinds of things.)

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Buy a battery that has at least 850-CCA, that alone is enough to start your rig in -20 temps and have plenty of extra juice to jump start any other car you have.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just buy a new battery at Walmart.

It's a whopping 40 bucks (gotta loooove prices for stuff for Fords).

Add some cheapie jumper cables for 10 bucks and toss 10
bucks in the glovebox for utter peace of mind - just call an Uber (EDIT: ok no Uber in Austin...whatever the name of the service you guys have instead) and tip him to jump you in the unlikely case you ever need it.

PS your instruments probably have a battery voltage gauge (not sure about your year, mine does tho). That should give you plenty peace of mind alone

swagfu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get one of these... http://www.themicrostart.com/ I have one and have used it on several occasions. On more than just the Expedition. I have used it on newer and older vehicles of kinds. From small cars to trucks about the size of the expy. Cheap enough to have. Stores in the console. Portable. Heck, I have even used it on a motorcycle. Used it to charge my laptop and cell phone. Pretty handy.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a first-time owner of a 2000 (4x2) Eddie Bauer 5.4L Expedition. This car has been mostly refurbished by a trusted mechanic, but it's also 17 years old, so.... I should probably think about carrying a jump starter for it. Would a unit with 500 starting amps/1000 peak amps have the necessary power to get me going again?

Thanks!

Yes, that'll work fine. I have one of these. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-1000-Amp-Peak-Jump-Starter-with-Compressor/13035281
I've never had to jump the Expedition with it but used it to jump my Corvettes. Works like a charm. The air compressor comes in real handy too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1