Brand New Wheel hubs bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Look at the other side, then the rears. Hard to tell sometimes. Very hard. Bet it's the other side or a U Joint or something like that.

While I'm no longer permitted to criticize our Far East trade partners on this site, I always question the quality of cheap import parts. Three bad ones in a row? Doubtful but definitely possible.

OP
OP
C

Cthunndr

Reaction score
I hear ya in regards to “F. E. T. P’s” lol. The first replacement was a duralast hub, the second was from Napa...forgot the brand, and the third I took a chance on from a junked donor truck. Since I have the extra hub I could always throw that on the right and see if there’s a difference. I will say that when driving straight or slightly moving the wheel to the left the noise is consistent and when I slightly move the steering wheel to the right, the sound/vibration is slightly less pronounced.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to find it before throwing more parts at it. Those ball joints you replaced had nothing to to with it (I know they were bad though.)

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I've been through this several times. It's very hard to determine what side's making the noise unless it does it when you spin it by hand. Probably the other side. Take a good look at that.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To those who commented today, Were you guys able to look at the video and hear the noise?
I heard the video but it's hard to diagnose a problem without being there. Try mounting a sound recorder in different areas that you suspect or have a pro look at it but don't just keep throwing parts at it.

booksix

Reaction score
Did you ever find the problem? I'm having the same issue in my 07 EB EL. I replaced the bearing that got louder when turning to put more weight on it and still had the issue. I thought I bought a bad bearing, too, so I flip-flopped sides to test but the noise remained on the same side. Rotated tires (fronts went to the back) and the sound didn't move. Tested every single part of the IWE system and that's working so its not likely front cvs/ujoints/diff. Sound continues even when trans is in N so it's not that. Sound doesn't change when accelerating or letting off so I'm thinking it's not rear diff (plus a diff issue likely wouldn't change sounds when steering?). I'm kinda at a loss. Maybe I'm just being deceived and it's a rear bearing... is there a good way to tell bad front from rear bearing (rotate and wiggle test gave me nothing)?