Buy this 07 Expy with a bad timing chain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No way it's done right for $800. I you're not willing to put in $2500-$3k right away I wouldn't bother with it.

$4200 for my 5.4 3v chains, guides, cams, roller followers, water pump, phasers. That was a little higher than it should be since the first mechanic did not do the cams and roller followers in spite of me telling him to fix the ticking, and I also told him it's a roller follower, which the 2nd mechanic confirmed. So the dang thing had to be disassembled twice due to stupidity of the first mechanic who lost out on a lot of future work being I have 5 vehicles. I did have a broken spring on 1 phaser so at least the first mechanic did some of the right work it needed, but did he use all new parts? I'm worried now since I just bought a trailblazer off one of his ex-mechanics and he told me the horror stories of that place.

Last edited:

scottc

Reaction score
No way it's done right for $800. I you're not willing to put in $2500-$3k right away I wouldn't bother with it.

$4200 for my 5.4 3v chains, guides, cams, roller followers, water pump, phasers. That was a little higher than it should be since the first mechanic did not do the cams and roller followers in spite of me telling him to fix the ticking, and I also told him it's a roller follower, which the 2nd mechanic confirmed. So the dang thing had to be disassembled twice due to stupidity of the first mechanic who lost out on a lot of future work being I have 5 vehicles. I did have a broken spring on 1 phaser so at least the first mechanic did some of the right work it needed, but did he use all new parts? I'm worried now since I just bought a trailblazer off one of his ex-mechanics and he told me the horror stories of that place.
How many hours labour were you quoted for the roller followers? I was quoted 8.8 hoiurs by a Ford dealership?