Buying Used - point me in the right direction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is, I think he was sayin he saved money by going with the stealth pkg route instead of platinum.

When I was looking in 2019 there was very little difference in price between the Stealth and Platinum, I think it was like $1200. I actually had found a Platinum for CHEAPER than the Stealth I bought, but the Mrs. hated the Platinum grill, only liked the Stealth, so Stealth it was!

vincentrose

Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought any trim level, Limited or higher, comes standard with the HD Tow Package

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought any trim level, Limited or higher, comes standard with the HD Tow Package

No sir, it's optional on all trims, however, certain pkgs on ltd trim comes with it bundled.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope but more are likely packaged that way due to top trims likely people expect all the goodies.
My experience was that dealers were begging people to buy the loaded Platinums because the sticker was so high.

The limiteds and other lower stickered versions sold easily and they had little to no interest dealing on them. My platinum HD tow pack loaded was $500 more than a Limited non HD they tried to sell me.

FoMoCo_Stealth

Reaction score
Is the platinum not available with CCD or HD tow?

It is available on the platinum, in fact I think CCD is standard and HD tow is an option.

It is, I think he was sayin he saved money by going with the stealth pkg route instead of platinum.

this.

I bought used so for what I paid I got less miles than for the same price in a platinum. Mine had 18,000 miles compared to in the 30,000 range I kept finding in a platinum of the same price.
That and the stealth looks better IMO and I don’t need message seats or anc. Also I think the carbon look stuff is nicer than the wood look.

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always buy the highest trim level with every option. I keep my vehicles for several years, and I don’t want to experience regret over missing out on a feature in hind sight. Happens quite often to folks it seems. Upgrading to LED lamps seems to be a common one that people want to update to.

+1 for HD tow as a requirement. I don’t really see any reason not to get it. I went from a Grand Cherokee Summit with the Hemi getting 12-14 MPG around town driving and my 19 Max Platinum gets better than that so I’m good with a potentially small gas mileage penalty.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is available on the platinum, in fact I think CCD is standard and HD tow is an option.

this.

I bought used so for what I paid I got less miles than for the same price in a platinum. Mine had 18,000 miles compared to in the 30,000 range I kept finding in a platinum of the same price.
That and the stealth looks better IMO and I don’t need message seats or anc. Also I think the carbon look stuff is nicer than the wood look.

All the same reasons I chose the Stealth.

I was not a fan of the Platinum interior. I think it had the light colored headliner whether you went with the tan or black seats.

I like the all inclusive dark interior, especially at night when driving.

Some say the leather was softer and more comfortable in the Platinum. I did not notice that. The Platinum is smoother and the Stealth has a more pebbled leather look (which I prefer). The contrasting red stitching is also nice, IMO. Then there is the faux carbon fiber accents. Looks better than faux wood grain.

As far as the noise cancellation, I actually enjoy hearing the slight whooshing and the hum of the tires when I drive.

Last, I am not sure I would really notice a 25hp difference. If I want more HP, I’ll get a tune, which could actually improve my towing experience to boot.

Regarding price, Sticker pricing was within $1000 of each other. There were more incentives for the Limited at the time and I was able to get mine for around $65K before my trade-in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FoMoCo_Stealth

Reaction score
All the same reasons I chose the Stealth.

I was not a fan of the Platinum interior. I think it had the light colored headliner whether you went with the tan or black seats.

I like the all inclusive dark interior, especially at night when driving.

Some say the leather was softer and more comfortable in the Platinum. I did not notice that. The Platinum is smoother and the Stealth has a more pebbled leather look (which I prefer). The contrasting red stitching is also nice, IMO. Then there is the faux carbon fiber accents. Looks better than faux wood grain.

As far as the noise cancellation, I actually enjoy hearing the slight whooshing and the hum of the tires when I drive.

Last, I am not sure I would really notice a 25hp difference. If I want more HP, I’ll get a tune, which could actually improve my towing experience to boot.

Regarding price, Sticker pricing was within $1000 of each other. There were more incentives for the Limited at the time and I was able to get mine for around $65K before my trade-in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I totally forgot about the light headliner. No. Thank. You.

my wife has an 18 explorer platinum and I cant stand the light headliner over dark lower plastics/leather.

25hp I’m not sure is even noticeable. That and you can easily gain that and then some for less than the $1,000 initial price difference if you bought your expedition new.