Caliper bolts - what tool?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Depends on what the last guy installed. I needed a 9mm Allen key to remove the old caliper pins. The Motorcraft replacement pins used an 8mm Allen. Hope you have better luck; the 9mm was hard to find.

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think mine was 9 mm but you will need an impact wrench. I didn’t have one and I could not get them to budge. I ended up paying my mechanic to install my parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Doug Kuhlman

Reaction score
Just got a 9mm from AutoZone, the last one they had. I have an 8mm that didn't fit. I have an impact wrench, but the spec is only 55ft-lbs. I've done plenty of brakes and never needed an impact. I guess whoever did your brakes last over- torqued them with an impact.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess whoever did your brakes last over- torqued them with an impact.

I think some people just use an impact for everything because (a) they're lazy, (b) they have one and just like manufacturing uses for it, or (c) a little of both. I've seen people assemble metal patio furniture with one. :x

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never seen a caliper bolt that i couldn't turn with a 1/2 inch ratchet. 3/8 is plenty for 98% of them.
I have seen bolts slip and strip out though.