Caliper Fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F150 Pat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Out today about 10 miles from home and the brake pedal was gradually going all the way to the floor. Little bit after that my wife hears something scrapping and then sees something come off the vehicle and hit the curb. I go up about 2 blocks and turn off where I can stop and see that my RH rear wheel and brake assy is soaked if fluid and dripping. We start back home very cautiously and we see the part that come off. It was a caliper piston. Ive been doing brake jobs for people and family since high school. Never saw anything like this. Nobody has touched the brakes since it was built. All Factory. Got to the dealer and they were just shaking their heads. They never seen that happen either ever. Anyway here is a picture. Looks like the caliper bottom bolt or nut broke off for the slider pin. Top is fine. It's under an extended warranty so this should all be covered. Tomorrow I'll find out more.

IMG_3107.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3107.jpeg
    IMG_3107.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 11

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As long as you havent had your calipers painted (by anyone other than Ford) they should cover under warranty.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're missing a guide pin bolt on the back, too. Wonder if something smashed against it hard enough to take out that bolt and damage the caliper housing.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know someone who had the same thing happen to them. The pin worked its way out( after a brake job) and the caliper shifted up. When they hit the brakes the brake piston blew out and they lost all brakes. What sucks is you don't have an emergency brake pedal to push down.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While moving, U can still "slow" the car by holding up the parking brake lever and the vehicle will eventually come to a stop

OP
OP
F

F150 Pat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the emergency brake and manual shifting to get me back. Anyway the dealer submits all warranty work to Ford online. There is nobody to call or email. My vehicle sits at Ford on the rack with all parts in stock but the dealer cant do anything until Ford gives the go ahead. They said it could be up to 72 hours. So the customer could sit with no vehicle for 3 days while ford finds time to ok the warranty. And it could be longer if they require more information or pictures. Insane.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the emergency brake and manual shifting to get me back. Anyway the dealer submits all warranty work to Ford online. There is nobody to call or email. My vehicle sits at Ford on the rack with all parts in stock but the dealer cant do anything until Ford gives the go ahead. They said it could be up to 72 hours. So the customer could sit with no vehicle for 3 days while ford finds time to ok the warranty. And it could be longer if they require more information or pictures. Insane.
Dealers (Ford) should be required to offer a courtesy vehicle while they make customers leave their vehicles sitting on their lot for day(s) while they pick thier noses and ponder if they should cover a Obvious warranty repair.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Especially since it's about a $250 fix. Sadly, this is the BS that is dragging Ford's reputation down.

OP
OP
F

F150 Pat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well it a caliper change, brake pads on both rear wheels and a couple of brackets. Rotors too. Kind of pricy if I had no warranty.

Last edited: